Thread: How to market ONE holiday product

Default How to market ONE holiday product

Hi All,

I'd love any feedback as I am officially spinning my wheels.

I am having ONE novelty product manufactured. It's mainly a holiday product. There isn't anything out there like this so people wouldn't think to search for this product.

I will most likely be selling on Amazon (first fulfilling by merchant (myself)) and also possibly trying the Fulfillment By Amazon (FBA) program.

I just have no idea how to drive people to my product since they would never think to search for it. It currently doesn't exist and there really isn't anything similar to it right now. I'm thinking of buying ad space through Amazon's Sponsored Ad program, but even then I need keywords that people would search for to find my product.

I would start a Facebook page for the product, but it would be quite boring - with one picture of the product. Doesn't make sense.

Twitter? Instagram?

Anyone been in the same position?

Thank you so much! I fear having boxes upon boxes in my garage with no sales in sight....

Array

Meet with Walmart and pitch your idea...
    David Hunter | Duke of Marketing | Former Real Estate Agent
    www.DukeOfMarketing.com
    www.BibleAndFriends.com/go/youtube

Array

One thing that immediately came to mind is publicity. You can attempt to utilize standard holiday publicity efforts - getting into gift guides in publication (right about now is the time they start filling up for the national publications for a Christmas novelty - if it's not Xmas aim for 9-12 months in advance for major national publications) - There are gift guide publications that run between $600-$1000 that you can buy - they typically have deadlines, contact information and what editors are looking for with the upcoming season...

If you only have one photo- change that! Get a photographer in and get a good set of marketing shots that you can use. If you're going to attract sales, you have to have good imaging.

If no one is going to search for this, you have to work to make them search for it...raise awareness and get it out there any way you can...

Thanks, Patrysha. By only having one picture I just meant that it's only one item. Sure, I can photograph (or have it professionally photographed) from different angles, but it just seems like most Facebook product pages have loads of shots of different applications of their products and my product doesn't really have an "application" (fun is it's application ).

Thank you so much for the gift guide tips - helpful!

Linda

Hi Linda,

How do you know people want this product? Have you received any feedback? Is there anything similar to this in the market? Who is the product for?

If you can answer these questions, this should build confidence in your product and help to establish the best place these type of people are.

Thanks
    Neil Sheth
    Only Way Online - Learn How to Grow Your Business Online
    http://www.onlywayonline.com

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your reply. I haven't done a focus group for my product or anything on a large scale like that, but I have received very positive feedback from family and friends (and typically I can tell if they are *truly* laughing at my description or faking it; most legitimately think it's funny).

You are right about marketing the product based on who it's for. I think that's the main question. I do have the answer to that, but I just haven't figured out the best way to market specifically to those people. I wish I could say more about my product here, but it's too early in the process. I will take your advice into consideration, though, and consistently think about WHO the product is for/who is going to enjoy it while I consider how to market it. THanks for your time and advice.

Linda

Array

Is it uniquely created by you, or is this a product other people offer as well?
    What the quantity of the manufacturing run? Don't let the manufacturer talk you into a big run. You will have boxes and boxes waiting year after year for the next holiday season
    How much can you spend per customer on acquiring them via marketing? (Ex: Can your margins support $1.00 / unit -OR- $10.00 / unit -OR- $100.00 / unit.)

It sounds like you are testing the waters, but don't put the cart in front of the horse : )

Why don't you try and get a few mom and pop shops to offer it BEFORE putting it online, especially if you have no protection.
    Find out if you have a good idea, it sounds like you working toward this stage..... If you do >>> Then, PROTECT YOURSELF with a patent lawyer.

What do you think if the Chia Pet was conceived in today's online marketplace without a patent and started selling? Think about that for a few minutes. It only takes one person. There is always a wolf out there looking for an easy meal.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, this is a product created completely by me. There is nothing else that is the same and not really anything that similar. I did meet with a patent attorney (absolutely necessary in today's environment, I agree). My product isn't something that should be patented (much too easy to make a minor change and circumvent the patent). However, the name is trademarked (or has been published, I should say). So I've covered as many bases legally as I can.

I will be placing an order of 1,000 units. I know that sounds like a lot, but many manufacturers require thousands. I won't place any order until I am absolutely pleased with the prototype.

And I do agree with getting the mom and pop shops to carry the product first. I have a few in mind already and hope to meet with them once I have the prototype in hand.

I think I should have been more specific in my post. I think what I really need to know is how to use content marketing, or social media, to familiarize people with this product. I don't think Facebook is the right medium; I can put it on my OWN FB page, but it probably wouldn't be the type of product to have it's own page.

I'm wondering if people recommend Instagram, Pinterest, or other social media outlets?

I'm also wondering how to drive traffic to a NEW, ORIGINAL product on Amazon (where I plan to sell at least some units). That may be a question better suited for an Amazon-specific forum.