Thread: Qualities of a Successful Franchisee

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Default Qualities of a Successful Franchisee

What does it take to be a successful franchisee? Do you think it takes different personality traits and skills than it would take to start a business from scratch?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I have no idea, but I suspect whatever qualities it takes I don't possess. I can't really see myself owning a franchise. One of the reasons I went into business was to take on the responsibility and be able to make decisions for myself. I realize that in a franchise you're still making decisions and taking responsibility, but you do have to follow certain rules by the parent company. That's not something I see myself wanting to deal with.

I think it does take differently personality traits to run a franchise as compare to being your own unique business. You have to be willing to do things a certain way at times regardless of whether or not you agree.

It's mostly autonomous instead of being fully autonomous. Some people like myself want the full autonomy.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

I agree with VG. When I left the corporate world, I decided I wanted to be 100% independent. I know guys that have franchises and they aren't even allowed to have their own website or design their own brochures. If they run an ad - they have to get it approved first. Not for me.
    Steve B

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I think franchises do, in some cases, have more restrictions, but that might work for some people. I'm wondering if a franchise might not make starting your own business feel a little less scary, since you will have someone to give you advice and guidance. I'd guess that would be the case.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Oh I agree it might work for some people and I think it's a good point that it can be less scary for some. You do start with a known entity with a franchise. You already know the business can be a success and you're going to get an education on how to make your business a success.

You have branding and marketing built in and you can start with standard sets of procedures that have proven to work well. There really is a lot to like about owning a franchise.

But I do agree with your original point that their are certain personality traits that are better suited to running a franchise. All the help you get with a franchise does come with some restrictions about how you can run things. For many that's no big deal, but for others it could be.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Some people will always be mavericks and want to do things their own way. I'm guessing those people wouldn't do well with a franchise. Other people might feel more comfortable with some structure and something that is at least a bit of a known quantity. I imagine franchises would work better for them.

I think to grow a franchise being creative is a great trait to have to be successful and to continue to grow throughout the years.