Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Forum Upgrade

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Sadly my plan was to work on my taxes so I can't honestly say I'd be having a better time.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield
    The forum is much more responsive and loading a lot faster.
    I noticed that too. I wonder if the old mod was slowing it down. It's possible. Support stopped for it a couple of years ago. It's also possible something is now off that should be on.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    I noticed that too. I wonder if the old mod was slowing it down. It's possible. Support stopped for it a couple of years ago. It's also possible something is now off that should be on.

Some other things are fixed too. Like the error messages that used to show at the top of the screen when you spam or delete a post. It's all smooth now. Like butter.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

That's good. I did turn off the CMS that we never use. Maybe that was slowing things down and causing some problems.

Discount Prodigy
    Array

Xenforo ladies and gentlemen. IP.Board is great too!

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I've looked at them. At the moment, don't expect anything to change, though. It's a lot of work to move this forum to new software and since no one will be paying me to do the work, it'll wait until I have some free time. I have no idea when that will be.

Discount Prodigy
    Array

I've looked at them. At the moment, don't expect anything to change, though. It's a lot of work to move this forum to new software and since no one will be paying me to do the work, it'll wait until I have some free time. I have no idea when that will be.
    Just get someone on here that knows what they're doing with that type of software to do it.

Like me

Or someone else, I'm sure someone trusted knows a thing or two.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I don't need to find someone to do it. I am a web designer and developer. Despite not liking vBulletin as software, it works well enough and there's not enough to justify the work or expense in changing to new software. If the time comes where I can justify the investment, I will.

Discount Prodigy
    Array

I don't need to find someone to do it. I am a web designer and developer. Despite not liking vBulletin as software, it works well enough and there's not enough to justify the work or expense in changing to new software. If the time comes where I can justify the investment, I will.
    Don't they have free vBulletin to Xenforo conversion plugins? o.O

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

There's a lot more to switching software than running a conversion plugin. First I'd have to install Xenforo, test it, and have select members here test it. I don't mean test for an hour either. Assuming we all agreed that switching made sense, I'd then have to learn Xenforo, configure it, make any theme/template changes, etc. Then all the data from here would need to be moved and converted. Then we'd all test again to find all the things that are broken, fix them, and probably test more.

I'm not saying it's a year of work, but it's hardly trivial. You also have to consider this forum isn't my primary business. Besides administrating the place, it's something I work on in my spare time.

Changing the software behind the forum isn't something anyone should be holding their breath waiting for.