Thread: No one takes graphic designers seriously

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Default No one takes graphic designers seriously

A little fun from Fast Company. I'm not a graphic designer, but when you tell people web designer it's pretty much the same from the idiots who think all you do is play on the computer everyday over charging people for things that they are sure is easy because the web is all drag and drop and magic.

Here's the Fast Company article:
    No One Takes Graphic Designers Seriously | Co.Design | business + design

Array

Itís not us idiots that donít understand. Itís all the idiots who CLAIM to be graphic and web designers that confuse and dilute the terms! There needs to be a better designation to distinguish the amateurs from the pros; something that would indicate some level of expertise. A doctor is a doctor and a lawyer is a lawyer and we know there is a certain competence attached to those titles. Graphic designer is very generic and there is no way to know who is and who just thinks they are.

Array

No one in Cleveland is taking the graphic designer seriously who created the new Browns logo.

If you haven't seen it check it out. Can you see the difference?!

Mixed Reviews on New Browns Logos / ideastream - Northeast Ohio Public Radio, Television and Multiple Media
    David Hunter | Duke of Marketing | Retired Real Estate Agent
    www.DukeOfMarketing.com
    www.TheSaviorsMinistry.org

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Hunter View Post
    No one in Cleveland is taking the graphic designer seriously who created the new Browns logo.

If you haven't seen it check it out. Can you see the difference?!

Mixed Reviews on New Browns Logos / ideastream - Northeast Ohio Public Radio, Television and Multiple Media
    I don't know what that agency got paid, but if it was $100 they literally made out like bandits.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 02-25-2015 at 06:53 PM.

Array

Hi Harold
    Its upto us, how we behave with other people. But I don't agree with the "web is all drag and drop and magic"
    web have many things that never achived with drag & drop. As a graphic designer, you should not think like this. because if the same word said by web designer, its okay somehow..
    but graphic designer have number of things full with creativity and these are real eye-catching element for all.

Array

No one takes the cleaning crew seriously either.

I posted one of my company's values a little while back:

Focus primarily on projects that affect top-line and bottom-line. Everything else makes us easily replaceable.
    A flaky salesperson will be tolerated a lot longer than a flaky graphics designer just because the salesperson is more likely to directly affect the top-line of a business.

If your job takes place somewhere between the top and bottom line, don't be surprised that you don't get the adoration you think you deserve.
    Low-Cost Total Compensation Statements - No minimums, no setup costs.
    Going to Disney World for Vacation? Rent One Of Our Vacation Homes

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    It’s not us idiots that don’t understand. It’s all the idiots who CLAIM to be graphic and web designers that confuse and dilute the terms!
    Same goes with SEO I believe.