Thread: New website design // illustration and design - please critique

Question New website design // illustration and design - please critique

Hello!

First of all, thank you for stopping by. I would like to show you my newest website design and ask you of course, what do you think? You like it, don't? Is there anything that you would personally change?

seventytwostudio.com

Many thanks.

Array

Hi there) Yesterday tried to reply, but the message was not shown(
    I think there's not enough information at homepage what your company is doing
    Try to optimize your pictures, they are to heavy
    Add some phone number, because if I was your future client, first of all I'd like to make you a call and have a conversation
    "let's start" button leads to nowhere

Array

I think from a purely design perspective, it looks lovely. I couldn't quite tell until I scrolled down exactly what kind of studio you were, and it got somewhat confusing with that being below the ads you've done for other customers. Showing your work is wonderful! But it should be a bit more clearly labeled as that, I think.
    - Stephanie, Southern Velvet Cafe

"If you're afraid of butter, use cream." - Julia Child

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I agree that the art work is great and you clearly have an eye for design, but you need a little help with website structure.
    Your purpose is not exactly clear until you get all the way to the bottom of the page and the copy throughout the website isn't really compelling.

The first thing is an easy fix. I'd move the "Latest Work" copy and replace that with an "About Us" statement with a 'read more' link to the About Page.

I like the simplicity of it all, but sometimes you need to guide readers with specifics. I think the menu works better if something like "About Us, Our Portfolio (or latest work, recent work), Contact Us".

On the contact page you need to entice people to want to contact with you with information on what they can expect to work with you, who you are, and more contact options than just a form. Right now you're saying nothing which leads me to guess and assume all the wrong things about your business.

As far as the copy throughout the website, it needs a little help and the font color is a little light. Not saying go black, but it needs to be a little darker so that everyone can read it clearly on whatever they are viewing it on.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 02-02-2015 at 05:16 PM.

Looks good, but it is really, really slow. 650ms to first byte, with 404ms latency, meaning it's taking the server 246ms to find and/or assemble the page (server-side processing). On my connection, it takes 8.5 seconds to download the content, but then it takes another 2.5 seconds for the rendering to complete so that I can even see anything. The server-side processing really shouldn't take more than 75-100ms, and the page should be completely rendered within 2.5-3 seconds. And yes, Google does care about your time to first byte (but not so much the page load time, though median is 6.5 seconds download and another 2 seconds for rendering, so that's what people will expect).
    || VMdoh - Drupal development, consulting, and support