Thread: New to forum and business!

Default New to forum and business!

Hello from Rocket City (Huntsville, Alabama)!

I just joined this forum today, and I recently started my business merely weeks ago. I'm a candle maker! Seriously though, it's so much more fun than I thought and who doesn't love making what they love, right? I'm still working on the start up part: logo design, business cards, taxes, taxes, taxes...that part really scares me, which is why i'm here- to learn as much as I can about businesses and how to grow my business. Maybe one day i'll be the next Yankee Candle company

Hi! Nice to see that crafts are still loved these days with big manufacturers all over the place.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum AluraRCC. Congrats on starting a new business. It's an exciting time. Don't be afraid of taxes. Sure, the forums can be confusing, but it really isn't as hard as you might think. If your business is set up with as you as sole proprietor then you're filling out taxes as an individual, the same as you always have. The main difference is instead of someone sending you a W2 form, you have to be responsible for keeping track of how much money you make and also how much you spend.

That's the main thing for now. Keep track of your income and expenses. You can buy accounting software to record everything or you can put everything in a spreadsheet or just list things in a text file or even toss all your receipts in a shoebox and sort it all out tax time.

One thing you can do to make getting the information easier is to set up a separate bank account for your business. Use the business account any time money is coming into your business or going out of it. It helps you keep track of things. And it really will get easier each year.

Looking forward to chatting with you and thanks for joining the community.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

I think being a little scared about taxes at first is healthy (I was), you really do need to be on your toes about it and make sure you pay what you owe on time. I'm sure you'll be fine though, and make sure you ask questions anytime, there are many knowledgeable people on this site.
    Owner, small landscape/remodeling biz (1-3 employees)

Array

Welcome! I can't wait to see you beating Yankee Candle and be top #1 in the US market!

Good luck! I'm just in the process of building a site for a candle maker in England - it's an art form!! Good luck - it's great to love what you do.

Array

Welcome!

What kind of candles do you make? Smelly good ones, cool designs, toxic free, etc.?
    David Hunter | Duke of Marketing | Former Real Estate Agent
    www.DukeOfMarketing.com
    www.BibleAndFriends.com/go/youtube

Thank you, Vangogh! A local women's small business association has really helped me out so far. I've opened a separate bank account, and i'm looking into purchasing a QuickBooks program (I know my little Excel file will eventually be overwhelming). I know it's going to take a lot of work, but I'm all about breaking things down into steps. Thank you again for the encouragement.

Hahaha that'd be so awesome, Newyorker! Tell me a little about your business. What is it that you do?
    Last edited by AluraRCC; 01-31-2015 at 12:00 AM.

Thanks everyone! Sorry for the multiple posts...i'm learning how these forums work. What is it that you guys do?
    I'm focusing on natural, soy, container candles- right down to the Ecowicks which are nothing but braided cotton. The fragrance oil that I use for the candles that are scented are DEP free and they're all in classic, rustic mason jars. The style of these candles are very country, so i'm hoping that the market in the South will really love them.