Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is direct mail marketing still relevant

Advantages of Direct Mail Marketing:
    Measurable – enclose an order card or return envelope and you’ll know exactly how many people respond to your Direct Mail campaign.
    Integrated – Direct Mail will complement television, radio and newspaper campaigns. For example, a television commercial can raise awareness about a new product but coupons sent to prospects and customers can lead directly to sales.
    Targeted– you can reach a specific group of people who are more likely to buy or consider buying your products or services.
    WPamplify helps small businesses amplify their WordPress websites by combining SEO, blogging, lead generation and Webmaster support.

I agree with the fact that direct mailing has decreased considerably in the past few years. Now everyone depend on internet services for direct marketing. But we shouldn’t ignore the fact that majority of these marketing emails go to spam folder or people are deleting these messages and mails even before opening them, thus wasting our time and energy with zero conversion rate. I believe direct mailing is a better option for the local business owners as majority of people will always open their mails. Sending offer coupons and promotion flyers by mail will be more effective to attract new customers. I own a small restaurant and i recently hired Troi Mailing Services for direct mail marketing. Price of steak in my menu is 45$, it only costs 17$ to make, I have to spent 80 cents per mail and I send about 20,000 mails . I only need 3% response to make profit.

Array

Melissa, I've been seeing direct mail increasing a lot lately. Businesses realized online marketing isn't what it's cracked up to be.
    David Hunter | Duke of Marketing | Retired Real Estate Agent
    www.DukeOfMarketing.com
    www.TheSaviorsMinistry.org

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Hunter View Post
    Melissa, I've been seeing direct mail increasing a lot lately. Businesses realized online marketing isn't what it's cracked up to be.
    Oh come on now. I think a better statement is that online marketing isn't the right choice for every type of business and it's a lot harder than people expect it to be.

I say all of the time, "get in where you fit in". Every thing doesn't work for every body.

Array

I will agree with Harold.

Sometimes for some businesses digital marketing is saturated for that industry and direct mail marketing would be the better approach. The flip side to that coin is, whom ever you have providing that digital marketing, are they actually good at what they do or do they just say they're good because they think so?

Both can be wildly successful, it just depends on your industry and your approach.

Anyone can go to vista print and make post cards to mail out that are generic and boring and don't have the right "buzz words" to catch people's attention or they're getting too much of the same time of mail solicitation. The more your direct mailer stands out and delivers a clear message of the benefits you provide the more successful it will be.... same with digital marketing, but most of the time one or both are the same plain mundane ways people have been going for decades.
    Jonathon Harrelson
    Front End Web Developer - SEO Consultant - Web Evangelist
    The worst thing anyone can ever tell me is that I forgot a semi-colon...

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

What ever type of marketing you choose, if you're running it yourself ( or even if you're hiring someone) you have to learn, and test things. You can send a crap direct mailer just as easily as you can put up a crap ad online. You can't just dump money into something hoping for the best and then when it's not gangbusters then decide that it doesn't work.

A good marketer will be able to extract the right information from you in order to create a good campaign or branding. It's hard because most people have no idea what their goals are, which in turn means they have no idea what they want to say.

9 times out of 10 when people come to me and tell me "online" doesn't work, it's because they just throw some junk up but have no understanding of sales, copy writing, SEO, and design or most times not even a clear message. It looks easy because anyone can plop down a credit card and do it, but there's a skill to it and you have to test, adjust, test, adjust, test, adjust all of the time. Even Coke and Pepsi don't run the same ads all of the time.

It all starts with you. Know who you are, what you do, and be able to express it easily and clearly to others on the fly so that they get it immediately. It's not as easy as it sounds. Many people stumble around and say something different every time you ask them. If you can't get that down it will reflect on everything you do both online and offline.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    9 times out of 10 when people come to me and tell me "online" doesn't work, it's because they just throw some junk up but have no understanding of sales, copy writing, SEO, and design or most times not even a clear message. It looks easy because anyone can plop down a credit card and do it, but there's a skill to it and you have to test, adjust, test, adjust, test, adjust all of the time. Even Coke and Pepsi don't run the same ads all of the time.
    This, so much this!

I give seminars on social media every year at one of the major set of trade shows for our industry, and I can't tell you how many people will come to the seminar and then tell me they've tried social media and it doesn't work. When I look at their profiles I find one of two things, they're either posting only selling messages and nothing else, or they tried a couple different things, didn't get an immediate response and abandoned the accounts.

Any kind of marketing takes patience.

I agree with David Hunter's comment about your offer. My wife used to sell ads for a local periodical. Often the client would do a one time ad with an offer, "X amount off something" to see if the advertising was worth the expense. Almost every time their offer was practically nothing. My wife would try to guide them into making a better offer. She would say, "what would be an offer that would get a reaction out of you, that would make you visit, that is the offer you should make in your ad." The would always believe their offer was good. Nine times out of ten they would not improve their offer. I believe it was the sticker shock of the ad and the thought of losing more money from the ad.

Array

Gotta spend money to make money... In my opinion, the purpose of an ad in a publication or even a television ad is to increase brand awareness... Will the ROI be great on your investment... probably not, but you've put your name in front of people who would have never heard about you. I tell business owners this... Would you offer a 5% discount on a service that would usually cost $100 (Save $5) and get 20 people to respond and purchase your service (net $1900) or offer a 25% discount (Save $25) and have 50 people come in (net $3750) because its a more substantial discount and it's more incentive for people to use your service? Now yes you would have made more money getting that many at the 5% discount but you didnt get that many in turn you got more out of your investment with the better offer to the customer, also that's 50 more people that have the potential to become repeat customers at full price.

At the end of the day its about brand awareness and bringing more leads... give them something to come in the door with, and woo them with your products/services and customer service skills to keep them coming back.
    Jonathon Harrelson
    Front End Web Developer - SEO Consultant - Web Evangelist
    The worst thing anyone can ever tell me is that I forgot a semi-colon...

Array

Unless people stopped receiving mail it is relevant and can be effective.

Like any form of advertising it needs to be done right.
    Paul
    Strategic Consultant
    www.BrandWhisperer.net