Thread: How do I approach small businesses effectively?

Default How do I approach small businesses effectively?

Hello,

This past year I’ve realized I have a passion for creating automation tools to help businesses. I’ve gained a considerable array of skills that allow me to quickly look at inefficiencies in a company’s (computer) workflow, and identify areas that can be automated so to save the company/employee considerable time and money over the long-run. For instance, I helped a small (but very successful) real estate company automate their process of adding new listings to their website. It used to take them 1+ hour, but I got it down to around 7 minutes, at the click of a button.

I truly believe there are tons of small (and large) businesses that are wasting precious time/money doing tedious, repetitive tasks that should be automated instead.

My question:

What would be the most effective way to approach businesses to offer my skills? Should I simply approach the manager of the business with a portfolio of services I can offer?

In my mind, I’ll have to do this:

1) Get a business number
    2) Create and sign “non-disclosure” agreements that will bind me to confidentiality in case businesses show me “sensitive” data in the course of teaching me their inefficiencies.
    3) Go from business to business offering a free one-hour consultation where we sit down together to identify potential areas that could be automated.
    4) I propose a cost to implement the solution
    5) They accept/reject
    6) I complete the project, and get paid, adding them to my portfolio.

I suspect I’ll need legal help to construct non-disclosure agreements and the such, but I’m asking for advice of any sort as to how I can make this idea come to life. Is there an effective way of integrating my services into a company?

Please offer any advice or criticism that comes to mind.

Thank you!

Array

Morrison,

I believe the field of work you are going to want to go into is known as "Consulting"

I do the exact same thing actually, except from an accounting/financial stand point.

I have always found that going straight to a company and telling them that you have a solution for them is not the best way to go -- since they potential client automatically becomes defensive over the idea that they might be doing something wrong.

However, being referred by other professionals definitely eases the way in for your kind of work. It is the same reason why I will talk to CEOs and CFOs of companies, but I let them come to me with problems. I never chase them down and tell them I have a solution for an unspoken of issue.

So the best way to get into the industry might be to connect with other professionals. Possibly repair companies for the automation line, cost accountants like myself come across dozens of inefficient assembly processes every day, and possibly build credentials as the expert in your field (a book written by a ghost writer usually fulfills this nicely -- though, it is costly).

You might want to also consider talking to contract brokers and insurance companies that have to insure these people. You could make the process safer. The possibilities are quite endless.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions!
    Tran Nguyen
    Accountant
    Tran'sActions Accounting, LLC

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I have to agree with the above. Approaching a company cold with the old "I can save you time and money" pitch rarely works. The problem with this method is that you're approaching it from your own perspective. That your product or service is so great that you're sure everyone would want it if you can just tell them about it. Yeah, every new salesman I know says that and it screams of desperation.

You need to approach it from their perspective and determine if there's a problem to be solved BEFORE you approach them. At the same time you need to be marketing yourself to people who may be looking for your services so that they come to you. You can't shake every hand personally. You need to have some marketing channels that are working for you 24/7.

Create warm leads using advertising, get a good copy writer to create impactful sales copy..a successful.copy would be explaining what you do in a non intrusive manner, garnering interest and leading into your pitch

From past experience, trying to reach the head of a business can be difficult because they usually have people to screen calls and keep uninvited sales people off their plate. Additionally, I've found that you need to figure out what's in it for them, and what problem they have that they can't solve. This could mean delivering different messages to different niches.

The thing is, you have to penetrate the veil to get a minute of time to present your services. Otherwise, you may end up with the problem of people not understanding you and having no clue why they need to talk to you. Hence,

So my suggestion is, formulate client types by industry and hone in on those industries with solutions you know they likely need. Then promote yourself by pointing out the problem and that you have a solution for it. In your ad copy, it's a good idea to push their button a little so it prompts them to contact you.

You can promote by advertising and/or direct mail as well as personal contact.

Good luck!

From my field sales days years ago, I would get someone at a lower level interested in the product to push it up the ladder. In my case it was engineers, senior field tech's or product marketing people. The end objective was to get them to ask for a presentation.

In the modern world, the strategy is not that different depending on the product. Someone may find a product on your website and be interested. They call you for more info and ask their boss if they can buy it or move it up the ladder.

What you want is someone with influence within a company to sell the product internally. Trying to go straight to top level management is usually futil.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Create a website that touts your services. Use testimonials from satisfied customers. Asking business owners to sit down with you for an hour is a lot to ask on a first meeting. I'd approach it from a "these are the problems I've solved for others standpoint". Approach the business owner with a short piece listing problems you've solved for other businesses and testimonials from those businesses. Keep it short and easy to read. Then as to set up a time to talk, they determine how much time they give you. Definitely focus on the benefits you've provided for others and the potential benefits you can provide for the company you're pitching.