Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP! I need some advice on my Webstore

Unhappy HELP! I need some advice on my Webstore

Hi, I built a webstore on Wix.com (first site) and am not getting any sales. I have spent about $300-$400 on advertising on Facebook & Google Ads but have only had 1 sale. I have also posted on Facebook & Twitter on my own. I need to know if there is something wrong with my site or what I can do to improve sales. I think my items are well priced but... All help wil be greatly appreciated as I have a limited budget and have gone into debt to stock my store. gailsboutique.com
    Thanks to all!
    Merry Christmas & Happy Hanukka
    Gail

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Gail,
    This won't go down easy. Your store is horrible. Not sure if it's a Wix thing, or just not understanding basic design principles, but as it stands it will never make any sales.
    My suggestion is to stop your ads because it's wasting money, and get serious about putting some money into your website. You will never make any money in eCommerce by using all free tools and doing the absolute least.

I spent a lot of time creating this horrible store so what can I do to fix it. What alternatives to the Wix Editor are available.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gailofmaine View Post
    I spent a lot of time creating this horrible store so what can I do to fix it. What alternatives to the Wix Editor are available.
    It's not often that I tell anyone to scrap what they have and start over, but you need a better eCommerce solution and a much better website.

I'm not sure if Wix is the best option for you. Even if someone was to go in and help you with a more functional layout and better design, it still may not be enough to save this shopping season.
    Overall, I'd scrap it and start from scratch. Building an eCommerce site takes a lot of thought and effort. It's not as easy as just finding a free solution, throwing some products in it and running some ads...at least not if you've never done it before.

You basically have 3 options.

1. Have a website built.
    2. Use a hosted solution.
    3. Learn website design and do it yourself.

You'll have to put more thought into which is best by investigating the different options. If you're looking for quick and easy, that doesn't really exist. If you're looking for easy enough for someone with no skills, I'd recommend using a platform specifically for eCommerce or at least one that does a better job than what you have.

I'm sure you've seen other eCommerce sites. Pick a few, look at them, and get an idea of what you want, and then go from there to find the solutions which give you that.

Whether or not you want full control, or just want to grab whatever template they offer with whatever options is also a factor.

Basically, you need to put more thought into it. Obviously your website is your bread and butter and it should be treated like the most important thing, not an after thought.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 12-15-2014 at 02:45 PM.

I would really recommend you hire a professional designer to design your site. Online website makers are terrible and even the goods ones can make bad sites if the person using it doesn't know design.[removed]

If you don't wanna hire a professional then you should definitely pick up a book on web design. You could also look at examples of good websites and bad websites. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 12-15-2014 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Self Promotion.Solicitaion
    Custom Web Development / Graphic Design
    Logics Edge Inc
    www.logicsedge.com

Sorry Gail, but I agree with Harold. He is a website designer, I have run an online business for 10 years or so.

My suggestion would be to look at profitable websites that sell the same products as yours. See how they are laid out, how they pitch their products, what products they sell. Don't use free website builders as Harold mentioned.

Web sales can be analogous with a real brick and mortar store. It can cost money to set up, take a lot of time, location i.e. search engine position is important, and proper advertising is important.

Tell us more about what you are trying to do and we can help you out.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

You can either: Shop hosting companies that offer eCommerce solutions like Bluehost, Hostgator, (ugh) Go Daddy, and others and see what they have and if it fits your needs. Most offer at the very least Magento and others like ShopSite, Open Cart, Zen Cart, OS Commerce and many others. I'd also look for hosting companies that have 24/7 phone support so that they can help you.

Or shop web designers that build eCommerce sites until you find one that does the kind of work that you need and like.

If you are intent with going with the site builder kind of service, maybe look at Squarespace. Not sure how robust their eCommerce is, but their sites look much better than what you have now.

Another popular option is Woo Commerce for WordPress. There's also Big Commerce and many other stand alone, hosted solutions ( hosted, meaning they host the website and provide support).

There's also Joomla, and Drupal platforms...basically there's a crap load of things out there. You need to get familiar with what's going on and investigate a few to get a feel for what direction you should go to fit your particular needs.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 12-15-2014 at 03:04 PM.

Array

Your site isn't horrible! But it does need a lot of work. That carrousel that loads on the for page and the large image behind it is hard on the eyes and slow to load... It's a busy background and just hard to read. I know you worked on your site for many hours and it's hard to have people tell you it's just not a good looking site and I have to agree. That doesn't mean you can't improve it as every site online, no matter how "ready" it is should always be making adjustments and improvements somewhere. That image carrousel is taking too darn long to load... Black font on blue, not easy to read. I think you are trying to present too much at once.

Things I like; FYI Blogs and order process. At least you have PayPal going on there. Blog has information and simple layout with a few faster loading images. That's how most of the site should look. Less busy.
    Take a look here for ideas and info: eCommerce WordPress Themes by Elegant Themes AND Elegant Themes Blog

Hope this helps.
    Hosting And Designs L.L.C. Since 2002 --> http://www.hostinganddesigns.com/HD/
    Tech Bog: http://www.hostinganddesigns.com/Blog/
    Sales: Lars A Jensen. Direct: 503-999-7518 9am-5pm

I hope to establish a store where customers feel they can come right to me for the best prices and know the quality will be honestly described. I hope to market to woman of all ages from teens to young mothers to professional women. I try to market to women as they are the major buyers for the family. I really want to get a designer/marketing pro but they cost so much.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Hi, I built a webstore on Wix.com (first site) and am not getting any sales. I have spent about $300-$400 on advertising on Facebook & Google Ads but have only had 1 sale. I have also posted on Facebook & Twitter on my own.
    You put the cart before the horse. With $300-$400 you could have gotten a year of hosting, installed WordPress, purchased an eCommerce theme and spent the time learning how to use and set it up. It would have taken longer than just going to Wix, but you would have something much better that you could continue to improve upon.

I hope to establish a store where customers feel they can come right to me for the best prices and know the quality will be honestly described. I hope to market to woman of all ages from teens to young mothers to professional women. I try to market to women as they are the major buyers for the family. I really want to get a designer/marketing pro but they cost so much.
    Seems like this is step one. You know what you want to do, but didn't think through or learn more about how to do that.
    Now on to step 2 and build the kind of site will help you attract and target that market and actually gives them the confidence to purchase from you.

I really want to get a designer/marketing pro but they cost so much.
    Prices vary depending on what you want and need and you should shop around, but how much time and money are you wasting by not consulting with someone who knows what they are doing and can help you, or not learning it for yourself?
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 12-15-2014 at 04:22 PM.