Thread: Successful marketing strategy ideas - Helicopter Training

Default Successful marketing strategy ideas - Helicopter Training

Hi there, I would be really grateful if I could get your thoughts and feedback as fellow business people on some ideas for a successful marketing strategy.

We are a small helicopter company based near Brisbane and our core business is flying training, i.e. helicopter licencing.

I'd like to build our client base and as a small company we do not have $1000s to throw at non-targeted marketing, which I see all too often.

The client base we are aiming for fall into a few main categories:

1) Business owners who want to to learn to fly recreationally
    2) People looking to change career to become a helicopter pilot
    3) School/College kids with wealthy parents willing to fund there helicopter training
    4) Guys out west looking to learn to fly for helicopter mustering purpouses

Clearly, learning to become a helicopter pilot is not a cheap activity and it's not an impulse buy, so marketing the product I have found to be incredibly difficult especially on such a low budget. Our website is looking good (I personally believe) and SEO is set up pretty well (Feel free to test this).

My question is, how would you go about marketing such a product/service bearing in mind a low budget? I.e. What channels would you use and why?

Thank You in advance.

Luke

Array

I'd find local C-level networking groups and sponsor one of their meetings in exchange for a ten-minute pitch. or just stand outside the meeting handing out flyers if you can't even afford the sponsorship.

Got a nearby university that costs a lot of money? Might have some kids there interested in spending daddy's money on that, so put up flyers around the campus.

Forget #2, they're too hard to find, because the person is just a random person in a sea of lots of random people. Your web site should be enough for them.

Same with #4... too large an area, too hard to target, just get some $200 press releases out there to bump your SEO.
    Low-Cost Total Compensation Statements - No minimums, no setup costs.
    Going to Disney World for Vacation? Rent One Of Our Vacation Homes

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I don't know much about this industry or Austrailia, but my first inclination would be an excellent lead capture website with really nice images, and to advertise in/on pilot or hobbyist magazines and websites.

If I were to do any social media it would have to include a lot of images of views, flights, and helicopters.
    If you spend on photography the collateral can go a long way to boost your other marketing.

One helicopter flight when I was young and I wanted to learn to fly one. One look at the price tag both to learn to fly one and to actually fly one changed my mind. And I was making good money at the time.

I don't know about there, but in the US I'm pretty sure almost all helicopter pilots learned to fly in the military. It strikes me that you have a very small niche of rich people that are potential clients. I'm really not sure how to approach that niche.

You would certainly need a good website like most businesses, but I doubt that is what is going to close your sales.

Do you have any competition? It's not going to be a common business.

Array

You need to be where your target markets are, you have four listed here, all of which the demographics are very different. You will need a unique marketing campaign for each segment. Alternatively, choose one to focus on first before branching out to all four. The answer to your question, "what channels would you use and why?" all depends on your targeted segment, each segment (or target) you have listed would likely have a different strategy. For example, college students would hang out online, where as business owners are more inclined to network.
    Bernie

Array

I had to chuckle when I saw this, simply because it brought back a lot of memories. I was the VP of Sales & Marketing at The Spartan School of Aeronautics for four years, the oldest aviation college in the US. That was a long time ago, much has changed.

I spent millions on magazine ads and infomercials for my sales force of like 50-60 peeps. You know what one of our best performers was? Small, tiny newspaper ads. Back then, our degreed (Bachelors) program was like 100K.

If it were me:

#1- I would grab the top magazines in the field, same with the top websites, compiling a list of the main headlines, the posts that got the most shares, etc... I would then create a video blog, creating videos around the same content as the headlines- putting your own spin and headline on the content.

#2- I would also have a few videos separate from the blog, that talk about flight school, what to expect, how to prepare, sprinkling in value adds along the way.

#3- Find someone that does an epic job with Facebook ads, someone with a proven track record, have them run your marketing.

#4- Hold free monthly open houses, make them informative and fun, video tape a few of them.

A talented group of Facebook marketers I would recommend, tell them I sent ya (former clients) is Four Kicks Marketing
    Bob Olmstead | Small Business Brand Consultant
    WEBSITE
    PODCAST

Magazine ads, and any aviation magazines might be your best bet. Might be a little expensive but you might be able to receive good leads. Since you will be in a particular area you should try using google advertising. You can pay per click or per impressions. You can also set the campaign settings to only show up when local customers type in any key words.

Good luck. Let us know what you try.
    CREATIVE PILE | GRAPHIC DESIGN & BRANDING
    Specializing in Line Sheet Design & Catalog Design
    www.CreativePile.com

I saw a magazine today that could work for advertising your services. The attached photos show the advertising of a Hondajet. I recall seeing at least 2 full page ads with jet plane advertisement. If the jet companies are advertising in this magazine then the customers might have money to spend on the classes and services that you offer.
    aviationad.jpg
    CREATIVE PILE | GRAPHIC DESIGN & BRANDING
    Specializing in Line Sheet Design & Catalog Design
    www.CreativePile.com

Array

I definitely agree with the recommendations CP has shared. Fantastic ideas. I've learned that using 'diverse media' to deliver your product helps spread your brand and service(s). Video could be fantastic, allow ads too for $$ help back to you, upload PDF's with lots of images and info selling your training, slide shows, maybe a joint venture with non-competitior but related partner to share/exchange advertising? just some ideas. Pay attention to high domain authority (DA) and high page rank (PR) sites, and as I said in another post, do back link research for popular related sites, to see where they're getting 'traffic'.