Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Opening Day

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I watched the game on ESPN. I even have the Yes network now so I can watch all season long. For awhile it looked like they would come back, but it wasn't meant to be. In 1998 they started 0-3 and 1-4 so I'm not worried by an opening day loss.

I love football too, but it's baseball #1 and football #1a for me. I am a spotsaholic in general.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I understand why you like baseball Vangogh, now that you've explained it to me, but I have to confess it pretty much leaves me cold. I don't mind watching a local game once in a while. We have a team here, the Beach Bums, (I know, dumb name) and they have a nice stadium and it's fun to see them play, but that's about all the interest I can muster up.

Mostly if I'm going to have any interest in sports at all it's because I make a connection with a particular player. My parents were big football and basketball fans so I have more reference points for those sports than I do for baseball, but unless there's a compelling story of some kind, I'm probably not going to be interested.

Was your family into baseball when you were a kid Vangogh? Is part of the reason you enjoy it so much because you have good memories from your childhood?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I just love sports in general. Growing up in New York there's almost always one team doing well to get into from one of the major sports. My grandfather was a big Yankee fan. He watched Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig an Joe DiMaggio play. He passed that on to his 3 daughters (one being my mom) who watched Mickey Mantle and White Ford play. Oddly they didn't really pass it on to me all that much, though my parents did take me to some games.

I really picked it up on my own more and didn't realize the connection to my family until after I was a fan. My two favorite sports are baseball and football in that order. I guess there are good memories of baseball as a kid, but mostly I think it's beautiful game. No other sport builds drama the way baseball does. It also has a strong connection with its own history which I like. And through statistics you can compare players across eras. Most other sports change to the point where comparisons are difficult. Baseball still allows that.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Array

All I know (and care about) is that my Jays are kicking serious ass in the American League. Yehaw to a 2 - 0 record.

Yes, it's the first two games of the season. But this is the first time they've been undefeated in a hell of a long tim XD

Alright, I'm done gloating.
    BlacktalonSolutions
    Human Resources 3.0 & Corporate Advisory Services
    HR • Organizational Behaviour Assessments • Strategic Marketing • Web Design

Array

Big sports fan here, Beantown through and through. Sorry vangogh but I only have one thing to say... Go Red Sox!

Sabbathia looked good though huh?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Sean you know it won't last. Though you do have one of the best pitchers in either league in Roy Halliday. Spring rumor had it he may not be with the team after the all-start break. Last year of a contract and wanting to win, though I think he'd prefer to stay.

goat you realize I can never help you with anything again. C.C is a slow starter. He was 0-3 and 1-4 last year with an ERA over 6.00 and look how he finished. I'm not worried. In 98 when the Yankees won 114 they started 0-3. April is for warming up for the rest of the season. I'm sure the papers in NY are panicking though.

Array

Well, that "undefeated" record was lost during one game this week, although the Jays won again yesterday (with a rookie!) 6 - 2.

Mind you, Detroit has always been a relatively "easy" team to play against; remember a few years back when their stats were something like 14 wins and 80-something loses? They just got lucky two years ago when they won the series

Halliday is a boon that we definitely need; it reminds me of the roster during our two consecutive wins in '92 and '93 (one could count the '94 year: we were on the docket to have "won" it due to our record the two years prior...). with the return of Cito Gaston to the team, you can be almost certain that the Jays' performance can be partly attributed to that. Yesteday's win with a rookie shows that Halliday may not be the entire all-star for the team if things go well for Ricky Romero the same way it did for him on his rookie debut.

A former pitcher of the Jays is now playing for the Yankees. A. J. Burnett apparently is showing he knows his stuff with them. The Toronto Star says that, with Burnett, the Yankees are definitely showing they are the highest-priced team in the entire MLB.

The thing about 'roids is that you'll find them in pretty much every big professional sport. Look at the Tour de France. Look at the Olympics. I'm sure soccer and football are not completely virginized from roids.

Being able to hit balls that far or ride a bike nonstop over several hundred kilometres in one circuit...one would need to have some sort of "assistance" to maintain the stamina to do that. Unless, of course, someone trains for several hours per day and keep a regular high-protein and high-carb diet. But we all know that this is relatively impossible for level-headed sportspeople to do that.

But the wife and I are definitely going to get a few ball games in this year. We attended a few in '06 and they were fantastic. My then-boss gave me premium front-row tix; I had enough for four people, so we invited my buddy Cav and his girlfriend Debbie. I'm sure after the game they hit some of their own balls and ran a few bases, if you get what I mean.

On a sidenote, however, I feel obligated to mention that I have a soft spot for the Cincinnati Reds. I think it's because of their mascot and logo.

Hurray for the baseball-headed guy. That's ingenuity right there.
    BlacktalonSolutions

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

You had to know the 'undefeated' thing wasn't going to last all season. I forgot Cito was back leading the team. The Jays have some talent. Unfortunately they play in a division that has a lot of talent. Hard to see them winning the division this year, but then again I wouldn't have picked the Rays last year at this time.

A.J. helped the Yankees win yesterday. Finally a good effort from a starter this week. I'm hoping he learned what he could from Halliday last year and now knows how to stay healthy. He's always had the stuff, but until last year he'd always missed significant time.

That's my feeling about steroids too. It's a world problem and not specifically a baseball problem. Baseball got the headlines about it and they looked the other way for awhile, but now they seem to be cleaning up the game as best they can. Some players will always try to cheat and there will likely be designer drugs to help them do that that can't yet be detected. But it's hardly a baseball thing.

The Reds are everyone's sleeper pick in the NL. I think they're still a little too young and not enough hitting to go with the pitching. Guess we'll find out how goof they are over the next few months.

Array

Bah. It was merely due to bad play calls

Reds won a couple days ago 6 - 1 or something like that. Good on them. Jays' rookie pitcher is starting tonight. Actually, the game is on right now as I type this.
    BlacktalonSolutions

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I have to thank the Jays, particularly for turning around A.J. Burnett. Two starts two wins. The Jays look good out of the gate, but we'll see.

The Reds are the sleeper pick in the NL this year. Good pitching, but I'm not sure they have enough hitting. Might be a year or two away still.