Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Copywriting Techniques

Array

Thanks.

One of the parts I found exciting in having my own business is the marketing part. I've learned so much in a such a short time. It's almost fun finding different ways to market my business.

Array

I learned the importance of writing out what I want to say when I was in sales. Nobody I worked with ever wrote out a sales pitch and none of the sales training sessions suggested it. Yet one trainer had everyone write out a sales pitch and it was amazing just how difficult it was - even for those guys who had been selling the same products for a number of years.

You really don't know what you are saying until you actually write it out. And then, when you read it back, it's is again amazing how many changes you want to make.

Nevertheless, Steve, impromptu speaking is not speaking without preparation. Not for Toastmasters, anyway. You are still expected to prepare several topics and have someone choose which one you will present at the last minute.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Good point. I've worked a few sales oriented jobs and I always had something prepared for what I would say to people. Sometimes the company had a script, though more often than not there wasn't one. I didn't necessarily prepare a full script or follow one given to me, but I generally prepared myself to have an answer for most any question or situation.

Then when the time came I would improvise a little so as not to sound stale. But I always prepared what I was going to say.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Refugee from the .com
    Array

I agree that your presentation should be written out, but no matter how well written, the delivery is crucial. I know I'm not alone in my disdain for telemarketers that just read from a scipt, and sound like they are just reading their pitch. If they can't practice it until they sound natural, then their failure is well deserved. I know that's harsh, but people like that are in the wrong job position, and their trainers are even more dispicable for allowing it.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

We have people who do follow up calls and customer service calls. When we started this program, I wrote a basic script with some suggested things that people could say. In the beginning, it seemed to make the callers more comfortable. As they got more used to making calls, they ranged further off script, and they sound more natural and comfortable.

This sort of calling is not for everyone. Some people just aren't comfortable with it.

Registered Member
    Array

Good post. Thanks for sharing.