Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Im young, yet interested in business...HELP!!!

Default Im young, yet interested in business...HELP!!!

Ok so Im going to start this out by saying I am 15 years old. I am interested in starting a business soon, very soon with the soul purpose in buying a lamborghini murcielago, or a nissan GTR. Both being very expensive cars, trust me, i am not getting ahead of myself. I dont want them to be a steriotypical attention whore, or wreckless driver with it either in any way, just for pure fun, and accomplishing my dream of having a sportscar, since I was 7 years old.

With that being said, Ive tried many different ways of making money in the past. Here are a few
    App making: has made me about 155 dollars over the course of half a year.
    Iphone case selling: made me 0 dollars
    Lawn mowing: Most work, yet most profitable. made me 1200 for one summer.

that is just some. My question being, does anyone have any ideas for a business that I can keep working at, and I know that someday, it might be my primary source of money? I am up to try anything, as I dream EVERY SINGLE NIGHT on sports cars. That being said a job or business that has something to do with cars might be a plus. I have heard of some of the success stories coming from starting their own business. Someday I want that to be me. Now I know what your thinking exactly, This little kid knows nothing about what comes with life and the costs of life. Believe it or not I do. There is a guy on youtube named Rob Dahm, he does a great job of telling his story on how he purchased and came to afford his 150,000 dollar Lamborghini Diablo. Any suggestions on business ideas will be taken into consideration. I have a close friend, who is in the same boat as me, cars and everything. We want to start business alone (he doesnt like sharing money) but thats beside the point. I want you to while reading this, dont think of me as a high school student, but as an adult.

The whole though of business is great, making money, accomplishing your dreams, the whole bit. But for me, sometimes, its not the greatest thing in the world. The more and more i think about it, the more and more I think I am going to fail. This has lead to slight depression throughout my high school years. My uncle, has my dream car, the nissan GTR. He works as a honda mechanic, yet has a 90,000 dollar car, and a 750,000 house. Im not sure how he does it, but im sure theres some sort of trick.

Like I said, any reply is greatly appreciated and will be taken into consideration. I would like this sort of madness to stop, and be able to get a grip on starting a business, and making some money to put towards my dream car.

Thanks,
    Eric

Array

So you want to start a business with the sole purpose of buying cars? Successful businesses are started with the sole purpose of A) passion for the work/product B) Passion for people C) Great knowledge/experience...

You.. you just want to buy things. Good luck with that.

What your uncle has is legitimate and not out of the realm of someone who's worked their butt off. Stop dreaming of wants and dream of what you can offer the world.. and money will follow.

In terms of your uncle, have you bothered to ask him how he's achieved those goals? Better yet, have you asked him how much debt he currently is in? You don't have any idea of what it takes to live, how long it takes to build a business, what makes you think you can find someone online who can tell you something you're in a rush to knowing NOW NOW NOW?!

Don't be a dabbler, stick to something and figure out why it's not working before you quit!
    Last edited by Wozcreative; 10-20-2014 at 10:46 PM.
    Graphic & Web Design [ View Portfolio ]
    Services: Logo Designs, Stationery, Brochures, Flyers, Booklets, Direct Mail, E-Newsletters, Websites, Store Signage, Packaging & Printing

Array

I think it's great that you want to start a business. You ought to know that business is sacrifice. You may spend the next few years reinvesting all you earn into making your business more.

I agree that you do need to have a passion, a near obsession, for your product and what you can do for your customer. Keep that energy up, you're going to need it.
    Brian Satterlee - Satterlee Group, Inc. - Blog - FreeLeadsExplosion.com

As someone who is trying to do the same thing, I can provided a bit of my insight as i'm in your place you actually sounded a lot like me not even 2 years ago. A little bit older, barely any wiser, my thoughts are that your drive is there but your aim is not. It takes time to figure out what you actually want to do as a career.

I dropped out of university doing something I hated but was good at to pursue leather working because I believe its what I want to do with my the rest of my life. Whether I do that I don't know, but while I'm young I'm willing to at least try.

Its great that you have a goal that you want to be an entrepreneur, its also good that you want strive . Just because you want to be successful and want to own nice things right now it means nothing in terms of getting successful, not to sound like an ass but thats to take you out of your fantasy and to bring you back to reality.
    Put the dreams and goals to the back of your mind, not to say to stop dreaming, but to focus on the task at hand so you can get a step further to create a business and excel. Whether you learn a craft, apprentice, take business courses from college or even enrol in University you should think about these things first and not the car. Also as you get older you realize that you don't know everything (took me a long time to get the cockiness out, still have it to a lesser extent.

If someone would have helped me through this unknown stage of my life I would have saved myself from a years worth of tuition (not cheap), instead of finding it out the hard way not thinking it through. In hindsight I had no urge to go to University, and it would of lead me to a job I hated.

There are no "tricks" no "magic pill" just dedication to what you do, self analysis, practice and mentorship. Someone who has more knowledge and insight then you when run out of willpower to get you on track. Find something you are dedicated to, that you can't live without and work at it. At the end of the day the path you take is more important than the car. You learn that sometimes you can't have everything you want and its actually healthy for you. If you get the car then great, you can just rent for a few days anyway LOL.

The reason you want the car should not be because its cool, it should be because you earned through hard work. Your making it seem like the car is better than you in a sense and it would be if you got it as easily as you make it seem. Thats like saying I know how to climb mount everest, even if you had 1 thousand hours of climbing experience you have to do it first then say it, not the other way around.

If someone took a helicopter and flew to the top of mount everest it means absolutely nothing..
    Last edited by Davidl; 10-20-2014 at 11:19 PM.

It sounds like you want to create a short-term, temporary business to acquire money. Unfortunately most self-owned or sole-owned businesses do not work this way.

Your best bet maybe to work for somebody else or raise some money to buy the car. Speaking of which, most people take out a loan for a car or house. You need to learn about credit and applying for a loan, also car insurance.

Unfortunately there is no "trick" to business or get rich quick schemes. There is money the honest or dishonest way, take your pick.

As entrepreneurs experience firsthand, there are no free meals in the real world.

I recommend you keep mowing lawns and designing apps in the meantime. Maybe you could come up with a profitable game or useful program. If you do it well you can make thousands or even millions, like facebook.

Hey buddy,

Good for you. You've taken interest in the business world, and especially at the age of 15. I was the same way, I was actually running a small paintball company behind my parents backs. Became friends with the local parcel store, where my packages where shipped to, I would ride my bike there, pick it up, and pull the package up from the window in my room.. Anyways, Passion is everything. It can NEVER be just for the money.. If I were you, I would take a notebook, and start jotting down ideas, thoughts, and how you could run a business. Never too early to start. Maybe even find a friend who takes interest in working with you. A common example is starting a lawn mowing service in your local area. Best of luck, keep your eye on the lambo!

Array

Hey man

Good for you. Being really enthousiastic is a great way to start.

Questions that helped me in getting a grip on my dreams were:

Who do you want to be a hero to?
    If you think about this, this question will give you your target market. Nothing better than to work with people who view you as a 'hero.'

The next step is to get a general idea what problems/ challenges they are facing that you could help them out with.
    This is a tricky one, but if you have friends/ family that fall in your target market, you could start by asking them.

What will happen is you'll start to see patterns of problems. List them and see if you can co-create a solution. People tend to support what they help create.

Hope this helps you out.

You're focused way too much on what you expect to get out of this, instead of what you can give. It's a great thing that you're young because building a business takes a lot of time and energy. Start with what you have to offer people and go from there.

Array

Hi Eric,

I won't be able to answer your question and tell you what you're supposed to do to earn million bucks tomorrow, but I think that you are on the right track. And I think that you need to continue pursuing your dream. It's great that you're trying things out; they may not materialize the way you wish they did but they sure provide you with experience and knowledge which you'll need when one day you hit the gold mine.

A few people above commented about passion being so important and I have to say that I agree with them. What's more, I think that you are passionate! You want fast cars, that is passion to me. You may have a different set of values now, but who didn't in the past? I hope that you remain encouraged and keep trying because you are on the right rack.

One more thing: I recommend that you read a book called "The Millionaire Fastlane" by M. J. DeMarco. It's a story of a guy who had the same dream as yours and it came true :-).
    Kamil Luto
    Call center forecasting & staffing + Small biz. analysis services
    www.lutoconsulting.com

Hello. thank you for the reply. I actually do have a really close friend who wants to start a business as much as I do. This past year, we both individually started a lawnmowing business, which were both very successfull. Next year, I think we are going to team up, and maybe do more lawns since we can do them faster. We have lots of ideas we always keep floating around in our minds. Thanks!