Thread: I have a way to solve rat problems without poisons or traps. How do I proceed?

Default I have a way to solve rat problems without poisons or traps. How do I proceed?

A long time ago, a dog called the rat terrier was invented. It is a dog specifically bred to kill rats. You pump smoke into the rat hole and as soon as rats come pouring out the rat terrier kills them.

This eliminates the need for poisons, rat traps, and unlike the traditional ways the rats are removed the same day the exterminator shows up.

The problem is, I'm an expert on dogs, not pest control. I can train a dog to find rat holes and kill rats, but I read that the pest control guys will locate where the rats got in the house and seal it off. I have no idea how any of that is done. Do you think not sealing off the entrance will be a deal breaker with most people?

How do you think I should set my prices? A traditional exterminator charges $250+ for rats, but he also seals off the entrances. I was thinking a pay per performance rate of $50 for the first rat and $10-20 for each additional rat.

How hard should I push the "green" thing? With no use of chemicals other than the smoker, this is an environmentally friendly business.

Array

Hi Zeusophobia,

Sealing the rat hole would be a deal breaker for me. If it's not sealed, who's to say another rat or rodent won't find the whole and start a family while I pay all the bills?! ha

Maybe you could learn about finding rat holes or getting your pest control license.
    David Hunter | Duke of Marketing | Former Real Estate Agent
    www.DukeOfMarketing.com
    www.BibleAndFriends.com/go/youtube

I don't have a big rat problem, but occasionally I will see them on the street or back fence. They will find their way into the house and I can hear them in the walls.

Then I hear a screech from my wife late at night. Dead bloody rat in the living room. Seems one of my dogs, a silkie terrier isn't to fond of rats either. Didn't take any training.

Array

It is definitely an issue if you are not correcting the root problem (the whole) which can often be very damaging to the home/location's foundation. If you don't seal/fix the issue I would never call you because I'd have to waste my time and find a contractor to fix the problem too. Think about working with a contractor for this instead if you don't do it. Most contractors won't come out to a job sight just to seal small holes though.
    Graphic & Web Design [ View Portfolio ]
    Services: Logo Designs, Stationery, Brochures, Flyers, Booklets, Direct Mail, E-Newsletters, Websites, Store Signage, Packaging & Printing

Array

Can you partner with a pest control business - to allow them to sell to their customers a different way to get rid of the problem. Then, work with them to see how they do what they do.
    Capital LookUp - Business Information At Your Finger Tips!

Array

The thing with most pest control companies is that they usually just remove the animals from the location and close off the entry point. Killing is usually their last resource. I've done some work for a pest control, so I'm very familiar with how they do things.

you'd be pumping the same message that the other pest control people are.. that they are "humane". However certain things they cannot control are bugs which usually means gassing. When it comes to wildlife.. they will not kill for the most part.
    Graphic & Web Design [ View Portfolio ]
    Services: Logo Designs, Stationery, Brochures, Flyers, Booklets, Direct Mail, E-Newsletters, Websites, Store Signage, Packaging & Printing