Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to start?

Default Where to start?

So I need to start blogging but I'm not really sure which host site to use. A friend suggested using 1&1 but does anyone have experience with them? Would you recommend them? Thanks for the help.

Stay away from 1&1.
    || VMdoh - Drupal development, consulting, and support

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Altenhofel View Post
    Stay away from 1&1.
    I agree.

Try wordpress or tumblr if this is a new hobby. They have pre-existing templates that you can use and are free. I say "free" because most people don't end up blogging that much anyway. If you're really serious about it then have a custom blog theme designed for you and branded.
    Graphic & Web Design [ View Portfolio ]
    Services: Logo Designs, Stationery, Brochures, Flyers, Booklets, Direct Mail, E-Newsletters, Websites, Store Signage, Packaging & Printing

Ya, 1 & 1 has a bad reputation both on pricing and service.

Array

why do you "need to start blogging"?
    Low-Cost Total Compensation Statements - No minimums, no setup costs.
    Going to Disney World for Vacation? Rent One Of Our Vacation Homes

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Altenhofel View Post
    Stay away from 1&1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozcreative View Post
    I agree.

Try wordpress or tumblr if this is a new hobby. They have pre-existing templates that you can use and are free. I say "free" because most people don't end up blogging that much anyway. If you're really serious about it then have a custom blog theme designed for you and branded.
    Quote Originally Posted by billbenson View Post
    Ya, 1 & 1 has a bad reputation both on pricing and service.
    I agree with all of this. Not to be discouraging, but most people get gung ho about blogging and race out of the gates thinking "This is going to be great! I shall blog EVERYDAY and people will come from all over the World Wide Web to read my cleaver witticisms, and drink of my knowledge!

Within weeks many give up once they start to understand how much work it is to write engaging content frequently, get frustrated with design issues, and start to understand how much there is to learn about marketing it, SEO, and Social Media.

I've started and quit many blogs over the years. The only subject matter that I've been able to keep going and want to blog for going on 5 years now is the music blog in my signature. This is my second incarnation of it. I mistakenly let the first one go because I got busy with other things. Starting all over again was a big pain as I had to reconnect with all of my old contacts, investigate new monetization options, not to mention the ongoing process of building traffic from absolute zero.

So unless you have a plan and are starting a blog as a business, I'd agree with starting slow and getting your feet wet utilizing a free blog site like WordPress.com, Tumblr ( which is more like microblogging), Blogger (which I don't really like that well), and see if you want to stick it out, learn and grow.

If so, then spend some money and build something nice that is self hosted.

If you are blogging to enhance an existing website with new content and information, then that's a different story and I'd probably suggest a different approach.

As for hosting recommendations, I recommend Bluehost. It's easy set up. WordPress One click install. It's cheap. It's been reliable for my clients, and they have 24/7 phone support. Phone support is huge for someone just starting out because you will have questions about everything.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 08-06-2014 at 04:09 PM.

Array

I use wordpress and it's free and fairly easy to use.
    Emily LaRusch
    Founding Bettie | (602) 626-8808
    www.backofficebetties.com

Thanks for the replies guys. sounds like I need to do a lot more research than I thought!

Array

Quote Originally Posted by LauraCee View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. sounds like I need to do a lot more research than I thought!
    Don't feel bad! Most of us have figured out that more research is almost always in order!
    ~Jenn
    Crazy Dog Creative: Graphic Design and Marketing

Array

I'd be rich if I had a dollar for every person that comes tome with an idea and hadn't done their research
    Graphic & Web Design [ View Portfolio ]
    Services: Logo Designs, Stationery, Brochures, Flyers, Booklets, Direct Mail, E-Newsletters, Websites, Store Signage, Packaging & Printing