Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Don't You Like About WordPress Themes

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I hadn't completely thought it all through when I started either. The more I get into it though, the more questions I see that call for answers. In the end I don't think there's a single right way to build a framework or a theme. There are a lot of good ideas out there and a lot of not so good ones.

One of the reasons I keep asking questions here and elsewhere is to gain a better understanding of what people want in a theme. I may not be able to get it all in there, but the answers help me decide how to approach development.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

I never knew you could create so many hooks with wordpress themes. Until I tried a free theme and noticed it had a update for me to download. Where I could change the background image.

I always thought the template couldnt not be changed through the admin system. I havent dived into how to establish those hooks.

I think development of your theme depends on the target audience. Do you want developers to work on the framework or more clients to use the template system? Maybe a mixture of both?

I think by making that decision you can target whether you want more back end features or code driven features.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

You can do a lot with the admin side. I had started developing a theme last year with a large admin panel for the theme, but as I was getting closer to completing it I knew WordPress was changing things and I decided to go another direction.

The framework would be targeted more toward developers and then child themes would be targeted toward specific markets. I can see the child themes doing more on the admin side than the framework, though I want the framework to have an admin panel and be able to do a few things to make life easier for developers.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals