Thread: Any Finance/Small Business knowledgeables around?

Array

Default Any Finance/Small Business knowledgeables around?

Hey, I'm Josh.
    Totally new to the Smallbusinessforum, getting into it! I've started writing a business plan for a small business I came up with. I'd like to talk to someone with more experience than myself about this stuff. I'm 19 so started kinda early but I like to get the ball rolling!
    My idea is entertainment related, I dont want to give away too much on here so if you're willing to help me out I'll share my ideas and stuff!
    In a nut shell, I just want to talk to someone with experience on starting or getting started with a business or anyone with experience in the world of finance.
    Thanks so much!

Banned
    Array

Willing to start a business is highly appreciable. This will lead to a big business man. First of all, I want to know in which field you are having atleast a minimum experience. It is always better to start a business, in which we are having some experience. It is a ocean. We have to adopt many reliable methods to get profit in our business. If you tell the field in which you want to do business, I'll give you some suggestions.

Hi! Tell us what idea you have in the field of entertainment?

Array

I don't think specifics of what industry the OP is looking to go into are needed at this time. Once the OP gets to the point of laying out a specific map, then the specifics will be needed.

With that said, finance is a very broad term. Intel44, can you provide us with details of where you are getting lost?
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

Array

Thanks for the replies!
    Finance is not part of the business I'll be going for, the finance advice I needed is more stock market related but not large amounts of money.

That's separate from my business idea.

My business idea is similar to that of a Dave and Busters but less random and more organized. I'm very conservative about my idea, meaning I wouldnt like to post it on the internet for everyone to see. Just incase someone with more money and more experience sees and wants to develope it before I do.

So with that, if you're serious about giving me some advice please send a private message to me. I would highly appreciate it

Back to stocks really quick: I'd like to learn how to use the stock market, doing small trades to gain some money. It's so huge I have no idea where to start, help on that would be great too

Thanks for the time everyone!

Array

Hi Josh,

Since you mentioned Dave and Busters I assume your idea involves both food service and entertainment. Besides D&B there are quite a few others, Chucky Cheese being one focused obviously on kids. There are many others that incorporate different types of entertainment including, billiards, go carts, bowling, music, live entertainment, karaoke, video games and so on. There is not much that hasn’t been done somewhere, somehow.

Whatever the unique “catch” is you will first need to know everything about food service and/or bar service if that is part of the plan. I don’t know if you have experience in those areas.

Let us know what part of the business you need advice on, business plan, operations, raising capital, financial business model, marketing, supply sourcing etc. I think if you can define it a bit you can get some good feedback on here.

On trading stocks to make some money; honestly don’t even think about it unless you are very willing to learn a lot about the stock market. There is no simple method or formula that I know of. Maybe someone else on here knows the secret. There are unlimited trading opportunities and methods. If you are looking for short term gains as in day trading you MUST know what you are doing or you will get slaughtered. Trading for income, rather than long term appreciation, is a very sophisticated business that requires both extensive knowledge and intense dedication. As in most any business you need to be completely versed in all aspects.

Array

I'm in complete agreement with Paul about trying to use the stock market for short term gains. Don't do it. You'd be better suited to finding a physical product, buy it low, and sell it higher.
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

Array

Oh no I don't plan on becoming a big time trader and making a job out of it. I want to know everything on how it works so I can buy stocks at low and sell them at high. Not by means of day trading or anything similar, but more investing for longer periods of time.

I'm not sure yet if I would serve food at this place, I had crossed my mind. I've tried to research it and see if something like it exists but I haven't found much.

It would be a place where in my facility I would have gaming computers, about 20-30. Two types, one with over the top needs for gaming and one a little more than average. On the computers there will be every popular game (League of Legends, all Blizzard games, Steam, ect) and people will sign up for a membership and pay to use these awesome computers by time slots. An certain amount per hour.

This would go along with computer repair and computer building on custom parts for customers.

That's a vague description of my idea, I'm scrapping together a business plan right now. I guess I just need advice on where to start. I'm in college, saving up money since this will cost a lot of money to start. I know how I'm going to pull together computer parts for this, but just where and when to get the ball rolling?