Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Text Editor

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I still don't get why you use Excel for coding. Obviously it works for you and I think I understand why you like it, but I couldn't imagine using it that way myself. It does show how we're all passionate about certain programs. You found something that works well for you and you're certainly loyal to it.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Take an update command. Its for updating the pricing on a site for an annul price change. 2k or so items. There are better ways to write the code, but this is just an example:

column A, first part of insert command.
    column B, Price
    column C, a little more insert command stuff
    column D, cost
    column E, more insert command stuff
    Column F, part number
    column G, rest of insert command

Drag the php down to the bottom of the new prices, copy and paste into a text editor, search for tabs and delete them, and you have 2k inserts to plop into the php price update from last year. Not the most elegant code, but it works well and takes 10 minutes to update the prices from last year.

Ya, the proper way of doing this would be to put the new data in three text files and loop through it. I just use this as an example of how excel can be used to make make a bunch of similar commands. Post data would be another example if it comes from a long form.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I guess my thought would be to have the data only in the excel file and then write some code to grab that info and place on the web page. I'd probably export the excel file and import it into a MySQL database, but I can't help thinking there's a way not to have to do all the copy/paste.

I do get how you place parts of the code in the different rows and how that makes it eaier for you. I just wonder if there's an easier way for you to do it.

But sticking with the idea that got us started it does show how we become loyal to certain programs. I know I do my share of things that would probably be easier to do in another way, but I'm loyal to my way of doing things.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals