Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best website builder in your opinion

Default Best website builder in your opinion

What is the best, most user friendly website builder out there? I am looking to create a very simple website with a few pages selling my product. There's quite a few website builders out there and wanted to get some opinions on which one I should try out. I already have my domain name and hosting down.

Thanks

Array

A local web established web designer would be a better for you than a web site builder. My main reason for stating that is because you don't own the code and you generally have to use their servers and point your domain there. You can have a look at a blog post i wrote on this very topic, Web Designers vs. Web site Builders - Krymson Productions

Like I state in my post, it all depends on what you're doing with the website. I believe its better to go with a web designer because then you're going to own the code and your promoting business among other small businesses. But if you're still wanting to go with a web builder then respond to the thread and I'll make some recommendations on ones that are only 80% crap as opposed to the rest that are 100% crap.
    Last edited by krymson; 06-04-2014 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Grammatical errors
    Jonathon Harrelson
    Front End Web Developer - SEO Consultant - Web Evangelist
    The worst thing anyone can ever tell me is that I forgot a semi-colon...

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I don't like nor recommend website builders for many, many reasons. I'm also used to people saying "I just want something simple" and then finding out that they think everything is simple.

I understand that not everyone wants or needs a full featured website that they have control over. Some people just want a drag and drop solution just to have something online.

In that case the only one I'd ever consider using myself is: Build a Website - Squarespace
    You can also check out one of our forum members service: http://justaddcontent.com/

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I'll add to the chorus. I'm not a fan of website builders for reasons already given. You don't have the control you should have over your site and consequently your business. You often pay more for the site builder than had you chosen another route. I'd sooner recommend WordPress or another CMS with a decent theme. Even if you don't want to do it yourself it shouldn't cost much to hire someone to install and set everything up.

There's also one other objection I have to website builders and that's design isn't as easy as people like to think. Just because you're given tools to make design changes to your site, doesn't mean you have the skill to do it well.

Having said that I should also point out I offer custom design services as does Harold and Jonathon. It's natural we aren't going to prefer site builders. I also think we're likely to find more and more people using them, especially as the tools improve.

If you are going to go the DIY route, I'd recommend installing something like WordPress, which does give you some control over how your site looks through site builder like tools. Second I'd suggest Squarespace or Shoppify. Just be aware what you give up for the seeming ease of a site builder.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I'd second and expound on that. There isn't a website builder in the world that teaches you how to design a website. How to organize your content, write compelling copy that coverts, proper placement and use of images, SEO, user friendly navigation, effective methods of lead capture, and so on, and so on.

Sure, they'll give you the tools to put something together. Some even attempt to guide you with some very basic direction...but if you don't understand the basic principles of what to do with the tools and how the web and user behavior works online in general, it's basically like giving me a hammer, some nails, and some wood and telling me to build a cabinet that people will pay money for. I have no idea how to do that. Even with instructions it will take me many, many very long tries before I get something even close to decent. And even then, it won't compete with professional cabinet builders.

So you need to be honest with yourself about if you really know what you're doing, or just think you do because it looks easy on TV.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 06-04-2014 at 03:26 PM.

Array

It's a bit like buying a roll of material and then going home to sew yourself a suit for a business meeting. You'll look sloppy, you'll get frustrated and you won't know why it's not doing what you want it to. Most people can sew a button, but not a whole suit, even if they have the materials and instructions infront of them.
    Graphic & Web Design [ View Portfolio ]
    Services: Logo Designs, Stationery, Brochures, Flyers, Booklets, Direct Mail, E-Newsletters, Websites, Store Signage, Packaging & Printing

Array

If having a web site is an important part of your marketing, then having a GOOD web site is going to be important. And part of that is creating a web site that conveys all the messages you want... instead of just the messages they let you configure (and by messages, I mean everything from use of color and shading to placement of text to content of text and images).

If it's not all that important -- and I had a $70 million customer who didn't have a web site and they were just fine with that -- then don't bother doing a half-assed solution. Wait until you think you really need it, then do it right.
    Low-Cost Total Compensation Statements - No minimums, no setup costs.
    Going to Disney World for Vacation? Rent One Of Our Vacation Homes

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Just remember this, it takes a lot of work to make something look easy and simple, that actually works. Think Apple and Steve Jobs.

Array

Working in the industry as long as I have, as Harold has, Woz, Van and everyone else who does this as a profession there is a little statement that I have learned to use and its not meant to sound rude but its true...

"You stay in your field o business and what you know and I'll stick to mine, don't try to dabble in my field to save a few bucks because you have no idea what you're doing." I think all of us can agree upon that. If you're a lawyer you stick to being a lawyer and when i need help with legal stuff I wont be my own lawyer I'll hire you, just as you should be your own web design you should hire one...
    Jonathon Harrelson
    Front End Web Developer - SEO Consultant - Web Evangelist
    The worst thing anyone can ever tell me is that I forgot a semi-colon...

As you mentioned, there are many build-your-own-websites platforms: Wordpress, Wix, SquareSpace, etc.
    But e-commerce platforms, such as Shopify and Magento, would also work for you, since you just want to sell your products.