Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I and We

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I use we but that's because I work for companies and there are more people than just me. So when I say "we" on a website I'm talking about me and the other employees.

If it were just me, and even in the blogs that I write for the companies, I use I a lot. Customer like to feel personally connected. Letting them feel like they know and understand someone who works for the company can be a very positive thing.

I guess the best thing is to use a mix. In my personal opinion, for what it's worth, if you're small it's better to say you're small. I'd rather know up front than think I'm dealing with a company and find out later it's some guy in his garage. Then I feel like I've been misled.

That's just me though.

Refugee from the .com
    Array

I agree it is one of those "it depends" issues. If you're a one person show using drop shippers, you are still a "we" because others are supporting your business while you essentially provide a store and marketing.

As for me, I respond simialr to what Dan and vangogh have said. I usually say "we" because I can draw on the resources of others when I need to, and I have a qualified daughter in college who helps when needed. But it is still mostly me, and I still play the role of production manager regardless. Like vangogh, I have gone much more casual with my site content to provide the distinct impression that I am a small operation, but qualified to handle the work. There are many places where I use "I" because it is me doing the writing, and it adds the personal touch they can expect when I serve them as a client.

Since "we" only requires two or more people, I agree that the main consideration is to create an accurate representation of what the customer or client can expect. Just like vangogh pointed out, the expectations must match if you want to be successful. In a case like bill's, if he can provide as good or better service than a competitor with a larger office, then he must instill that confidence in his clients. If he focuses on the benefits of his service, and delivers, it's doubtful anyone will even ask about the size of his office. I don't advocate lying, but putting the emphasis on what is important to the customer is key.

Edit: Kristine makes an excellent point too, especially when talking about blogs. People connect with other people and being personal by using "I" in many situations is a good thing. Even a newsletter written by someone from a large corporation is often more effective if "I" is used by the author.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Difference is Dan, you are the company and produce the product. I'm representing a company and provide after sale support among other things. My customer base thinks I'm a multimillion dollar distributorship. I don't try to dissuade them from that opinion. In fact, the main reason I'm doing well at this is the customers have that perception.