Thread: Possible Careers

Array

Default Possible Careers

Hello everybody, Hope you all are having a good day. I am a 14 year old trying to find out what I want to be when I'm older. I am very interested in Business and Technology. I either want to major in computer science and go work for Google or Apple, or go get my MBA and be a venture capitalist. I understand that you have to make a lot of money to be a venture capitalist, and you can't just go out of college and become one. I was thinking of dual majoring in Computer Science/Business Administration. I can go be a small business owner building computer software and hiring a few employees. I can save my money from that and eventually sell the business. Then I go be a venture capitalist. What do you think about my ideas? I will greatly appreciate any responses

If I were you, i'd put venture capitalist right at the back of my mind, for now. You can come back to it later, when you've made your money. Computer Science is an excellent degree choice. Mixing with business admin could work, and should make you very employable should you decide to work for someone other than yourself. If you start a small business though, don't expect to be raking it in within 3 years - you most likely won't. There are obviously exceptions. Many businesses don't make serious money until 5-8 years of operation, many more make no money and go bust. Good luck with whatever you decide to do! Just have a level head going in.

Array

Computer science is a great way to go. If you want to get rich using technology you need to come up with something new that solves a problem and then get it to market. If you want to work for a big corporation and collect a paycheck you'll do well to look into programming, IT Project Management or something along those lines. Why the MBA? You sound awfully ambitious which is fantastic, but keep in mind real world experience will get you where you want to be. I've seen a lot of kids come fresh out of college with fancy degrees and can't even keep pace with the folks who've been on the job for some time and have no degree.

Make sure that you are looking for opportunities along the way to practice what you're learning and get some real world experience. Best of luck!
    Emily LaRusch
    Founding Bettie | (602) 626-8808
    www.backofficebetties.com

Array

Your old enough to start right now.

I recommend:
    Learn graphic design from YouTube. Photoshop & Illustrator
    Then start learning Website Design by taking classes at a local community college.

You will be way ahead of the other students if you started learning it early on now.
    The software is expensive but you could save up for it with part time work or something.

Don't wait for someone to hand you a degree to start making money. Just go do it.