Thread: new domains are coming out (.business) - what do you think?

Default new domains are coming out (.business) - what do you think?

Hey guys!

I've heard about new top-level-domains coming out in these days and months. Some of them have been released already, like .club, .sexy, etc.
    One thing that caught my attention was that there will also be .business domains available soon. What do you think about these? Would you consider getting one? Can't decide if this is a good idea or not

Banned
    Array

.ninja? who exactly does that appeal to??

I already have .biz and it makes it slightly harder for my customers to remember my domain name. We're so conditioned to "dot-com" that we don't think much about the others except as the exception to the rule.

I have a few specialty domains bought. One is a .plumbing for a SaaS app that is currently in development...
    || VMdoh - Drupal development, consulting, and support

Array

I'd imagine my non tech savvy customers would try to type in my address as "wozcreative.business.com".
    It is unnecessary for most businesses unless you are (as Brian mentioned), doing a special SaaS service that needs unique domains like that.
    Graphic & Web Design [ View Portfolio ]
    Services: Logo Designs, Stationery, Brochures, Flyers, Booklets, Direct Mail, E-Newsletters, Websites, Store Signage, Packaging & Printing

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Unless you're in a specific niche where a specialty domain name would make sense, .club for a nightclub for instance, I don't see why you'd bother with these. Particularly the .business one. That could apply to almost any business, and it's not memorable. Why bother with it?

seems that .com still the most valuable
    Website Owner? Use nerochat.com to convert visitors to customers.

Array

When I was domain shopping the original one I was seeking was not available but they offered me .org, .biz, .net, .this and .that. Anything other than .com or .org has always struck me as 2nd class. I know it isn't but I just feel that way. So I manipulated the name until I found a .com that was available. It didn't take much but I got one I am happy with. Now I just need to build a site for it!

I think the .otherstuff names will catch on in time but I don't think we're there yet.

Array

Let me know how many of the gTLDs your seeing returned in search? Then go try to link that gTLDs in an email message and let me know what happens? Not trying to rain on anyone's parade but if some of them do gain some traction it will be several years out before you can expect to run them up against TLDs... just saying.