Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Social Media as a Marketing Tool

Array

No idea how this one got by me....he he.... I have well documented my thoughts on the value of SMM... a pet peeve of mine really.

For me, social media (1.0 and 2.0) have played a big part in my career, it's more of convincing clients and showing value that is more of an issue. Many times, depending on the market and business model, SMM is a hard sell IMHO. Especially with SMBs... the larger corps already have budgets for SEO,CRM,Qual Research, branding - and so allocating a portion of each towards a dedicated SMM program isn't so bad... it's the smaller enterprises that one can actually have to create a stand alone budget where it becomes a tough go...

Many of the SMMs I know and have talked with tend to have larger companies as clients.... it is creating effective campaigns for smaller companies that becomes the challenge ultimately.. paying a dedicated staffer, or outsourcing SMM can be challenging and the planning/goal setting needs to be all that more defined....
    Massive search geek and web wanderer
    SEO Blog - SEO Training - SEO Services

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Yep, I'm quite familiar with your SMM thoughts.

I hear you about the budgets. SMM is time consuming. It's a hard sell to small business clients for understandable reasons. I also think for small businesses it's probably better to get involved with on their own than to have someone else do the work. To me the biggest benefit is networking and that just works better if you're networking for yourself instead of having someone else do it for you.

One way I think small biz can play in the space is to find one or two social sites they genuinely enjoy and just getting involved when they have time. A good deal of social sites are actually useful. My entry point was delicious, which has saved me a lot of time over the years and regardless of any marketing benefit I'd still use the site.

One other way small biz can use social media is research. You can learn a lot about different markets search social sites.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

My biggest reason for social networking is to learn from people and if possible help along the way (for me it is still more of the latter, but as I gain confidence in my knowledge I have been able to be more helpful to some lately). I would never solicit anyone, people know what I do and if they happen to need my services great (very rare to happen upon someone like that in my business though). I have hired a few people I've met through social networking along the way though.

To answer your original question, when I first joined SBF there was probably a 50/50 ratio of people I would ever hire and people with no credibility. That ratio had dropped to about 10/90 before this forum was formed.

Luckily it seems the 10% have mostly found their way here. This forum seems like it could certainly become a place where members really do work with each other and develop relationships.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Learning and sharing are great reasons to connect. Do you participate with networking services like Twitter and Plurk or use sites like Digg and StumbleUpon.

We do seem to have the cream of the crop from the old forum here. A few still haven't found there way over, but maybe in time. And I agree many of us could form working relationships as most of us have need for each other's services.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

One of the nice things about these sorts of forums is that you get to connect with people you might otherwise never meet. Vangogh lives in Colorado, I live in Michigan. Had we not met on a forum we probably would have never met at all.

Social media allows you to enlarge your circle of connections and exposes you to more opportunities. It also can be a lot of fun.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by KristineS View Post
    One of the nice things about these sorts of forums is that you get to connect with people you might otherwise never meet. Vangogh lives in Colorado, I live in Michigan. Had we not met on a forum we probably would have never met at all....
    This is so true. My book, "Keep Your Eyes On The Prize," is co-authored with a young lady out of Calgary, Canada, and we have never met, other than as members of the Successvibe discussion forum.

It certainly is a new and wonderful electronic world we live in!
    Last edited by Spider; 08-26-2008 at 07:05 PM. Reason: typo

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

It's funny Frederick. I've never met most of my clients even though some are right here in town. I've also never met many people I now consider friends. There are some people I only know online who know just as much about me and me about them as I ever have with people I've spend time with face to face.

Array

Well i'll put it this way.. about 60% of the traffic to my Free advertising site comes from business forums I participate in. The other 30% are from organic search. the other 10% are direct referrals..

Yes like me, even my website gives 110%
    The Ad-Vice Man - Expert Advertising Advice
    www.harborpilotmedia.com,
    www.freeadvertisingadvice.org

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ad-Vice_Man View Post
    Well i'll put it this way.. about 60% of the traffic to my Free advertising site comes from business forums I participate in. The other 30% are from organic search. the other 10% are direct referrals..

Yes like me, even my website gives 110%
    That's a good one Ad-vice Man

Array

Thanks... it's nice to be noticed
    The Ad-Vice Man - Expert Advertising Advice
    www.harborpilotmedia.com,
    www.freeadvertisingadvice.org