Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How did you find your passion/idea?

Array

if you dont have passion for something right now, oh well

what are you good at? find a job working for someone else in that field and take some time.......i started out in printing...no particular reason, there was a large printing company in the area and i had to pick something out of high school...i moved up several times changing jobs inside the company.....i was good at all of them and became the top guy in each dept.......then a friend was trying to be an electrician and it got me interested in the trades....i chose plumbing because to be an electrician you needed advanced math and the most i did in high school was algebra....so for that reason alone i chose plumbing......i have had a passion for being the best at whatever i do........running a business is like a game to me....and i want to win....i think thats why i changed jobs every few years and kept moving up to better and better positions...its like a game to me...i want to win and be the best......this is why running my business isnt that fun anymore....ive been doing it for many years now and i know how to win the current game

i wouldnt worry about passion....figure out what skills your born with and pick a field that you will excel at....i wouldnt start a business right now....if you dont think your great at anything then id say you have 0 chance of success....you NEED to be GREAT at something.....multiple things actually

for me im good with small details and have an engineer type mind....i can always see flaws instantly that others dont see or look past

im sure you have a unique skill...what is it?

Array

Quote Originally Posted by huggytree View Post
    i wouldnt worry about passion....figure out what skills your born with and pick a field that you will excel at....i wouldnt start a business right now....if you dont think your great at anything then id say you have 0 chance of success....you NEED to be GREAT at something.....multiple things actually
    I don't know if you need to be GREAT at several things but at least one for sure. For the other things you can get mentoring, training or eventually hire someone. For example I don't need to be great at accounting but can hire someone to do it for me. Same with websites. For me, dh is my computer tech guy. He doesn't charge much but the benefits are great!

for me im good with small details and have an engineer type mind....i can always see flaws instantly that others dont see or look past
    Maybe I am wrong but you sound like you could be good at trouble shooting. My dfil did this with electrical work, I think, in a paper plant many years ago. Then I think he did this many years later at a place that installed automatic garage doors.

I work in the retail/wholesale industry and have done so for the last 20 yrs or so. I have access to vendors and manufacturers so it made sense for me to continue in this direction. Is it my passion? Not really but I like the work and the potential for me. I know what I'm doing so that helps, it's just taking that extra step to get off the ground

Array

i wouldnt worry about passion.....
    Some people are fortunate that they have a "passion" they can pursue, the rest of us have to make "winning" our passion, as Huggytree says about himself.

I found my so called passion in simply starting or helping to start business...any kind of business. As a consequence I've been involved in so many different types of business from retail to manufacturing, importing, franchising and on and on as well as all the disciplines associated with starting a business, financing, marketing, sourcing, legal and so on. A jack of all trades and master of none, so to speak. Seeing a business start and succeed has become my "passion".

For those who do not have a particular passion, talent or skill I recommend the book "Horse Sense". After reading just about every self help, motivational, and how to succeed book ever written, this book really changed things for me. It basically dismissed the idea of finding your passion, purpose and personal fulfillment and advocates success for success's sake. The subtitle is "The Key to Success is Finding a Horse to Ride".

Those who have a passion or skill should pursue it. Those of us without can be passionate about success itself.

It was really a long process for me. I tried so many different things and than I realized my current passion was what i was already doing (accounting). I absolutely love numbers and problem solving. I just realized I did not like the environment that I was forced to work in. I hated the hours, the commute, time away from family etc. I decided to truly be happy I needed to do it more on my terms and started my own business.

Array

My passion and idea found me.
    Capital LookUp - Business Information At Your Finger Tips!

Registered Member
    Array

For me it was straightforward I started to focus on what I loved doing. This helped me turn a business idea into something that I enjoyed doing daily. I think that you have to focus on what you love doing and what you are good at doing and seeing if you cannot combine the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph A. Norcross View Post
    For me it was straightforward I started to focus on what I loved doing. This helped me turn a business idea into something that I enjoyed doing daily. I think that you have to focus on what you love doing and what you are good at doing and seeing if you cannot combine the two.

Great responses everyone.

So I was thinking about it... I remember when I originally was interested in a staffing agency. I'm in HR now and I like my job (for a office type) but I learned each corporate place I've been I just HATE the culture/life. I hate so many things about it, especially working for someone else. Staffing is interesting but I kind of want to stick to something more enjoyable.

My mind has always gone back to dogs, fitness, beauty, etc. Beauty services like massage, wax, eyebrow, etc.
    Maybe there is a way to incorporate into a dog setting (training, grooming, etc.) or pick either or.

Right now I'm like brain storming. I really wish I could quit my job right now. I hate my boss (nice guy but sucky boss when you're working for him he treats you kinda crappy)

Array

It actually just hit me one day - one day I was talking and talking about a subject and I just realized that this is what I like, what I have a knack for and something that I want to pursue. Not only am I passionate about it but it also gives me an outlet to help others - something I also like to do.

To find your passion - send some time with yourself and be honest!
    Capital LookUp - Business Information At Your Finger Tips!

I can't say I found my passion but the idea of having related business divisions under one name fascinated me. I decided to set on a journey to create a one stop environment for customers and I'm targetting parties, weddings, related gatherings. The business will bring together fashion, beauty, audio-visual entertainment. I'm still working on the first division which is a beauty salon then will move to the next and all will be under one name..Hope to get ideas