Thread: Focused Networking Groups

Array

Default Focused Networking Groups

I just thought I'd share one of my more successful ideas for marketing - and it didn't cost anything.

Instead of joining an overpriced and overstructured (in my opinion) networking group (i.e. one that rhymes with BMI - I started my own which has worked out quite well).

It started with one other guy who I became friends with because we were both new to our businesses that were services for dogs (he's a dog trainer and I install underground dog fences). We would call each other often to share ideas and frustrations. Then we decided we should just meet for lunch once a month. Now, we have invited dog groomers, pooper scoopers, veterinarians, and other dog related businesses to join us. We dont' have any dues and very few rules. It's just a bunch of people getting together to share ideas and help each other out. We end up doing a lot of cross-marketing and give each other referrals. The fact that we are all in dog related businesses makes it a much better use of my time than meeting with a bunch of unrelated organizations.
    Steve B

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I think this sounds like a great idea, Steve. You've got a group of people in related businesses who can help each other out. Plus you know these people personally and would feel comfortable recommending them. Very clever.

I'm in a similar group too. Ours isn't focused on one industry like yours is, but we meet every week and swap leads and try to help each other with business advice. No money changes hands. And it's an unstructured group, which makes it a pleasure to attend.
    Access Communications
    Digital Marketing, Content Creation and Web Development
    Winner, MarCom Gold Award 2012

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

That's a great idea Steve. I think what you put together is what a networking group really should be about. From what I've heard about most groups your success really depends on the particular group. If you get in one with the right people you can do well, but if not you're wasting your time.

You put together a group that not only is focused in such a way that everyone really can help each other, but since it's not your only purpose for getting together you all want to help each other too.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Glad to hear it's working out for you Steve. I remember when you were first getting it together. I've never really understood the idea of high priced networking organizations with people that are in completely unrelated industries.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I think a networking group can still work even if the people are in unrelated industries. The key is the people in the group. Non competing, but related is probably best though. I offer web design services, but I don't offer print design. It's natural though that some of my clients will have printing needs so if I was networking with a print designer it would be easy for me to send business. Ideally that print designer wouldn't offer web design and could send those requests to me.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

I think there is a place for unrelated businesses to have an effective networking group also (i.e. this forum!). I may start one of those also. It just won't have any dues and very few rules.
    Steve B

Array

I do see how unrelated industries could help one another in a networking setting, but I would be much more likely to put out money and follow gobs of rules in such a group if those people were in a related, but non-competing industry.

For example, when my wife and I cleaned apartments years ago, it would have been great to have had a networking group with people that also did carpet cleaning, painting, landscaping, hvac repairs, and contract maintenance. We would have then been able to find out who is working at a place that is looking for a cleaner, or who just had their maintenance person quit, etc. That could have been great.

I think that the targeted networking group is a far superior idea than the miscellaneous group, but that's just my opinion. I would never pay to get in any such group anyway. I like to pass on referrals to people that I come in contact with if I have one for free, and I appreciate it when they do the same in kind. Helping out other small businesses is rewarding.