Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: advertising at a local golf course

Array

I can see that advertising where there was no advertising before and where people go to get away from stuff like constant advertising, would reflect badly on the advertiser. So, I suggest not advertising.

Place a sign that says, "Have a great game -- from Dave at Wa..... Plumbing."

Do not include a phone number or a tagline. Nobody will write down your phone number or be sold by a tagline - if they want to find you, they can find you in the phone book with the name of your company. The name of your company is the name of a nearby town, so it is suitably memorable.

By not including your phone number or any other contact info, you are saying, "This is not advertising, I'm just a sponsor of your golf club, keeping your membership fees low, and wishing you a good game."

By giving your name, you have made it a personal message and the name of your company is now only to indentify which Dave.

It's now a completely non-advertising message that will rest pleasantly with everyone who tees off from there. And to catch them at their happiest, I'd place the sign on the first tee, if you can.

Array

I think that's awesome advice Frederick.

I want to change my answer to what he said!
    Steve B

Array

Agree with Spider (again... what the heck is going on here?) This is not the place for responsive type advertising (phone number / slogan) but more sponsorship advertising. That way, when they look for a plumber, they say "Dave from Wa... plumbing..... I've heard of him."

Pay the $300, and don't track whether you directly get a job from it - that's not the focus of an ad like this. Your business is getting to the point where you need both types of advertising - the type where you track if it "worked", and the type that is impossible to track, but will yield results over time in an overall sense (there's a reason companies pay millions to attach their name to a stadium, for example, and they do so without a tagline or phone number.)
    Dan Furman - Copywriter, Business Author, Entrepreneurial/Business Consultant
    Business Writing Services | Website Copywriting Services | Blog here

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I agree as well. Like Frederick said golfers won't be talking your number down and calling on the course. Make this about branding. Give a positive message that isn't in your face marketing. Your goal should be to leave a positive feeling with anyone seeing the sign.

The sponsored by message Frederick suggested is perfect.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Is this a private club or a muni? I can't imagine a private club selling ads.

I like the suggestion of not having it be "add-y" but I would put it on the ninth hole, there is generally a wait there which means more visibility, but by then the golfers will be used to the advertisements and they won't make them want to puke as much.

The fact that this is happening on a golf course is a sure sign of the apocalypse IMO.

Array

What other sport do the participants walk casually through talking about their lives w/ pencil and paper in hand? I'm not sure jumping to the assumption that no one will write them down is the best approach.
    Small Business Graphic Design | Just H Design
    ~ Stand out. Like a wave on a mountain.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

That is true. It is one sport where they at least have the means to write your number down while playing. It's hard to know how people will react to an add on the golf course though. Also most people won't specifically be looking for a plumber while golfing. If you're not looking you probably won't bother writing down the name and number.

I think Frederick's suggestion would create a lot of good will. You're seeing all these other signs pushing a marketing message and then get to one that's just saying glad we could help support your fun time. It's going to create a positive feeling and I think the name would be remembered.

You are right though that the means to record the number are there in your hand.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Array

A lot of times on advertising we make the phone number BIG and BOLD - what if you took Frederick's approach and then smaller, but still there under your name is your phone number. That way if someone's wife called while he was on the way to the golf course to say that the kitchen sink just exploded and the guy saw your sponsorship ad, he could write your number down.

I don't know - it's just a thought. I do really like Fredrick's idea better than actually trying to make this an advertising message - let it be a sponsorship message.
    ~Jenn
    Crazy Dog Creative: Graphic Design and Marketing

Array

I like H's reminder that golfers walk around with pencil and pad in hand. I still wouldn't like to see the phone number on the "Have a great game" sign but....

....Don't rely on them writing your number down. As a complement to your on-tee "Have a great game" sign, offer to supply the club with the score pads or score card (or whatever the score is written on) with a discrete notice at the bottom saying, "Supporting your club - score card provided courtesy of Dave at Wa...Plumbing. Tel: 123-456-7890"

Of course, any business could do this for any sport or activity that keeps score - bowling, bridge, canasta, bingo ....

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Interesting. I wonder what it would cost to print the scorecards. Where are our printer members? I would think you could print a reasonable amount within a budget. Maybe you wouldn't be able to supply the club with scorecards forever or even a year, but a promotion lasting a month might be doable.

Then again if it works to bring in business maybe you could justify the cost for longer.