Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What to do when you hate blogging

Default What to do when you hate blogging

I have a blog and I fully understand how important and helpful they can be for an on online business.

However I absolutely HATE blogging. It is a struggle. I have considered hiring someone but because it is about bookkeeping and accounting I would need someone who had knowledge. This is not so easy to find i a freelancer I am confident in.

Any suggestions on how I can stop disliking blogging so much?

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rjoyce3582 View Post
    Any suggestions on how I can stop disliking blogging so much?
    Nope. If you hate it, then stop doing it because it probably shows in the articles.

Just curious, what is it that you hate about it? Being tied to the schedule? Coming up with ideas to write about? Or just bored of the content and subject matter?

Array

Just stop. There's no requirement that you blog for marketing or SEO purposes. There are other ways to spend your time and money to get the results you want. Writing should be left to people who want to be writers... everyone else usually sucks at it anyway.
    Low-Cost Total Compensation Statements - No minimums, no setup costs.
    Going to Disney World for Vacation? Rent One Of Our Vacation Homes

Freelancer

Would you mind sharing what else I could do. I have read a lot on content marketing and blogging / guest blogging seems to be unavoidable to become an "online expert". My biggest issue is that my services are offered virtually (although I do have some local clients that I will initially meet in person) and it is hard to build trust online.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    Nope. If you hate it, then stop doing it because it probably shows in the articles.

Just curious, what is it that you hate about it? Being tied to the schedule? Coming up with ideas to write about? Or just bored of the content and subject matter?
    I have a hard time coming up with innovative new topics. Honestly I dislike writing in general.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I can't answer from experience, because I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to how I feel about blogging. However, like everyone else here I'd suggest if you really hate doing it, then it probably shows and you may want to stop at least until a time when you don't hate it so much. A few thoughts

1. You can hire someone to do the writing. Maybe it will take some time to find the right person, but there are people out there who can write and either know enough about accounting or are willing to learn. I write about subjects all the time that I knew little about before I started writing. Keep in mind though, if you hire someone to write for you then it's really them growing their authority and not you growing yours.

2. If authority is what you want your blog to provide, find some other way to gain authority. Writing blog posts is hardly the only way. Maybe another medium would work better for you. You could try recording audio or video. You could create templates or examples that people could download. It doesn't have to specifically be writing.

3. You might continue writing anyway. Maybe you don't like it, but if you do it well enough then it's just another part of business you do even if it's not your favorite thing. There are plenty of things I do to run my business that I'd rather not have to do. I don't know that I would describe my feeling toward any of those things as hatred, but there are some things I strongly dislike doing that I do anyway to help my business.

Mainly just remember that writing blog posts is done for a reason. In this context written posts are trying to achieve a goal. Think about what your goal is in writing posts and then find another way to achieve that same goal. It might mean someone else writing or it might mean you creating a different form of content or it could be something entirely else.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Thanks Vangogh this gives me a lot to think about.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Freelancier View Post
    Just stop. There's no requirement that you blog for marketing or SEO purposes. There are other ways to spend your time and money to get the results you want. Writing should be left to people who want to be writers... everyone else usually sucks at it anyway.
    I would have to disagree to some respect. Blogging is important for marketing and SEO purposes in that it is a useful way to engage people where they currently hang out and also provides a resource for people to interact with what your selling. All of these factors, along with a multitude of other resources, provide back linking and can increase your relevance with Google.

I understand that you do not enjoy or find blogging, or writing for that matter fun or interesting. If finding interesting topics is hard for you or unique content, remember that is isn't about what YOU want to write about. Search the web for what your CUSTOMERS are searching for, then write content based off that. If you are doing booking services - provide THE BEST tips on bookkeeping or a TOP 10 list - or a frequently asked questions. People tend to search for what is the best so if you can provide them that resource it helps and a blog is a free and simple way to do that.

If you do not wish to do it, there are companies like ODESK that will hire out copyrighters and SEO experts that will post articles for you. They are fairly cheap. Also, you can contact local schools in your area and sign up for a internship program.

If you have any further questions let me know. I hope this helps at least a little.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Plenty of companies are successful online without blogging. Of course they spend money, but blogging is not the only way to see success online. It is however, the cheapest thing you can do.

Array

Blogging is important for marketing and SEO purposes in that it is a useful way to engage people where they currently hang out and also provides a resource for people to interact with what your selling. All of these factors, along with a multitude of other resources, provide back linking and can increase your relevance with Google.
    And yet, for absolutely no time wasted on my part, I can spend about $100/month and get the same results for my business by spending on adwords and I never have to worry about constantly coming up with new content.

But that's for MY business. Other businesses need/want to cultivate that fuzzy online presence where people keep coming back to a web site for some vague reward. I don't discard that approach, but it's not for everyone. Instead of wasting time on blogging because some SEO "expert" tells you you should do that to get better SEO, why not first figure out whether that's the fastest way to get your best potential customers to buy whatever it is you want to sell them?
    Last edited by Freelancier; 04-10-2014 at 05:06 PM.
    Low-Cost Total Compensation Statements - No minimums, no setup costs.
    Going to Disney World for Vacation? Rent One Of Our Vacation Homes