Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What to do when you hate blogging

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freelancier View Post
    And yet, for absolutely no time wasted on my part, I can spend about $100/month and get the same results for my business by spending on adwords and I never have to worry about constantly coming up with new content.

But that's for MY business. Other businesses need/want to cultivate that fuzzy online presence where people keep coming back to a web site for some vague reward. I don't discard that approach, but it's not for everyone. Instead of wasting time on blogging because some SEO "expert" tells you you should do that to get better SEO, why not first figure out whether that's the fastest way to get your best potential customers to buy whatever it is you want to sell them?
    I can't disagree with this. The closest distance is a straight line. I rarely blog on my business website, yet the phone still rings. When I do blog it's usually something important and I try to make that post a reference post for other people to link to as a source of important information. Usually trouble shooting stuff, tips and "tricks".

I blog everyday on my other site because..well it's a blog.

In eCommerce blogging for sales is a slow process. You have to do SEO, build Social Media communities, establish yourself as knowledgeable and then maybe..just maybe you can start selling them stuff. Ads work if you target and construct them properly.

If you notice on Social Media, some companies just do ads and they use the blog and social media to announce specials, product updates, usage ideas and so on. They don't waste time courting people with a bunch of free information unless it's about how to use their product.

Array

If you notice on Social Media, some companies just do ads and they use the blog and social media to announce specials, product updates, usage ideas and so on. They don't waste time courting people with a bunch of free information unless it's about how to use their product.
    This.

Have a plan. Tie the plan to the customers you want to reach. Don't just hope for people to show up because you write about it. Figure out what your customers really want and give them that.

A personal blog is all about you. A business blog is one marketing tactic. There are MANY MANY other possible marketing tactics that might produce more sales for less effort. If having a blog really does entice your customers into buying more from you, then you should definitely consider exploring that tactic. But if you're doing that to hopefully someday maybe get noticed, you're wasting your time that could be better spent selling.
    Low-Cost Total Compensation Statements - No minimums, no setup costs.
    Going to Disney World for Vacation? Rent One Of Our Vacation Homes

I really want to thank everyone for their responses. I took a different look at how I was going about blogging and what I felt my customer could benefit from. I came up with some ideas that don't requiring blogging as far as writing. But I can use it as a medium to provide what my customers really want. I am still working out some details but I am more excited about this than writing articles or blogs.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Glad to see that you've found a way forward. Judging by your excitement, it may even turn out better than what you've been doing.

Array

Just be yourself and write whatever is on your mind.

If all else fails, quit doing it!
    David Hunter | Duke of Marketing | Retired Real Estate Agent
    www.DukeOfMarketing.com
    www.TheSaviorsMinistry.org

Array

Royce,
    Do your clients ask you questions about their books? Write the answers in your blog. Do you have employees? If so get them to write answers to questions they get. Someone, somewhere, wants that answers you are holding back from your blog. You can do it.
    Get Better at What You Do.

OchaNix.com

Array

Some ideas for your blog:
    Client spotlight - Talk about a client, the industry they're in, the problems they faced, and how your services solved that problem.
    Client testimonial - Since your site doesn't have a testimonial section, put it here!

I really don't enjoy blogging either so here's what I plan on doing:
    1) Keep at it to get better.
    2) Look into getting an intern from the English department of a college nearby. Test the applicants - give each a list of bullet points for a blog topic and ask them to compose it. Pick the one that best fits us.
    3) Hope this plan works!
    Business Window Decals | www.StudioSignsRapidGraphix.com

If you hate blogging so much, then maybe you can consider hiring guest bloggers. Or just share relevant information (such as changes in accounting regulation, etc) on your website.

Great discussion. As time involved blogging can be, it can wear many hats when making a statement about your business. It is ideal to step outside of the box when determining how a blog can benefit you, for example the blog will give you content to share in your email newsletters you send out to clients and let them know your website is worth visiting from time to time because it has fresh content going up. This let's the client know you are passionate and active in your business which is very important in keeping your name fresh in their mind. Good luck!
    Lead Management Software - Capture Leads, Track Leads, Score Leads, Nurture Leads and more.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I missed some of that good discussion. I completely agree with Freelancier about not needing to blog. Like I said in my first post a blog in this context exists for a purpose and blogging is only way way to achieve that purpose. We're talking about it as a way to market and there are other ways to market your business. Now, I think blogging offers some things advertising doesn't. For example an ad can lead someone to your site, but the ad doesn't convince the person to trust you. It doesn't show them you know what you're doing. Not every business needs to do those things, but for those that do the blog can offer more than other forms of marketing.

The main thing is to take a step back and realize why you're considering a blog and then think about what else you could do that serves the same purpose. People like to talk about things like a blog or seo as though you have to be successful with them or you have no chance of being successful in your business. That's not the case. Both are good ways market, but they aren't the only ways.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals