Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got stumbled

Array

Default I got stumbled

Well, i do not know exactly what was stumbled, but i know it happened saturday just gone. I know there had been a spike in visitors that day but only today when i was looking closer at my stats have i realized it was from stumble upon.

Nothing earth shattering just 62 visitors according to Google analytics. Although nothing to be shuned in my opinion. I had thought it was fallout from my push to create a twitter profile for the site, and this may have been where it originated. But either way i just need to figure out how to replicate it. I doubt it would have made the front page either, so i can just imagine what some people would see when they do make it to the front page.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Congrats. It's cool when you get to see a surge in traffic even if you are only starting out.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

You should be able to tell in Analytics which page was stumbled. Check your traffic for referring sites, which is how I assume you know the traffic came from SU. Click on the stumbleupon.com link so it's the only referring site showing. It should then show as referrer.php. Just above that you'll see a drop down called Dimension. It'll be showing Referral Path by default. Select Landing Page in the drop down and you'll know which page or pages were stumbled.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Thats great. I haven't used stumbled upon in a while now. I like you have started focusing on doing alot of more via twitter. I have "met" people I wouldnt have normally met, and found people I know tweet with people near me, which is always interesting.

Array

Can one "stumble upon" one's own site? Or this considered bad form?!

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Better to have someone else stumble it for you. The traffic will come after several people have voted for the submission and if you submit your own content you run the risk of others thinking it's spam and not voting. That doesn't mean you can't submit your own content, but make sure to submit other people's content too.

Also know that SU traffic isn't always that great. It tends to be hit and run. You do have to submit content the community there is looking for otherwise people will quickly leave.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Array

I tried stumbling my own content. Early in my blog days as a marketing idea, it didnt add any thing. The stumble market is more about shock value then any long lasting community. I find stumbled brings alot of users quicker then you can imagine. Then they disappear. They create spikes with no long lasting visitor increase.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

That's generally what I've seen too. I think if you have the right content for the community and get consistently stumbled over time it can pay off. For me SU is usually one of my biggest referrers each month, yet very little has come from it. I don't see people sticking around and coming back. Some of that is my fault, but it's also the nature of stumbling. The people landing on your site aren't really looking for you. Most just randomly end up on your site.

Array

If I ended up on a text site and it didn't catch my attention within the first 3 seconds, I stumbled on to the next.

I literally moved that quickly.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Which is usually what's happening when someone clicks and lands on your page as well. Just the way stumbleupon works.