Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Images in a blog

Glad to see this has generated some discussion. I think I'll just keep doing what I've been doing and use vendor supplied, istockphoto and my own images.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Aaron if you use the Photo Dropper plugin it's very easy to add images to blog posts and the images will all be licensed to use on your site.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

I just installed this plug in and you won't believe this. My first search was for "fedora" and a few pages in I find a picture of our Indiana Jones display somebody took while in the store. Too funny!

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

That is funny. It's a small world huh? What do you think of the plugin? After I used it for awhile I started to really like it? Now when I'm editing a post I always search for some images to add.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

I'm not sure about it yet. In the first couple searches I did I didn't find much that was applicable. I'm going to try it out though as I write for the next couple weeks.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I find some searches bring back nothing and others bring back a lot. Sometimes the images that come back don't really fit what I searched for. I think it's based on how people tagged the images at Flickr. Usually if I refine the search a little or use a synonym for the key word I'll eventually something I can use.

It's like search in general. Sometimes the better you search the better the results you get back.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Aaron, I do know that a few of the paparazzi photographers and companies have websites that you can buy a membership to for use of the photos on the site. They are generally not the money makers that they sell to the big publications but sometimes it may be the next shot just after.
    Unfortunately I can't link you to one, but I remember seeing some sites like this last year and the memberships were not that expensive.

Of course, if celebrities are already under contract for a hat maker, and you sell the hats, I am almost positive that you can use the marketing materials as you wish.

I take images from Google all the time for events that I may write about, or press releases that are sent in...for some reason, promoters (no matter how much I beg) continuously forget to send me the logo, or promo flyer...so I am always searching for it online, and even sometimes I end up snagging it from the events website.
    I have never had anyone complain about doing this, and they know I do it, but I am doing it to promote them and their event. (I also link to the website, my space page or whatever else they have.)

I think they would rather I do it that way, than to attach a photo of my own that has nothing to do with the company or event, and many times I'll get an email apologizing for not sending the press photos.

Celebrity photos on the other hand are big business. A good shot will get a photographer 10's or 100's of thousands, so I would be very careful using photos that you are not authorized to use.
    Actually, I wouldn't do it, unless it is a publicity photo that everyone has, or is sent out to the press anyway.