Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Social Media vs. Newsletter. If you had to choose just one, which?

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Default Social Media vs. Newsletter. If you had to choose just one, which?

I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who was caught in marketing limbo over Social Media vs. a Newsletter.

If you are a one or very few men show, you don't have a marketing department. You are the marketing department. So you have to choose what you have time for and can do well over the long haul vs what is going to give you the best return.

I've started newsletter programs in the past and abandoned them, mainly because I don't really want to write a newsletter. Therefore, I run out of things to talk about.

On the other hand, I think if you sell a product that a newsletter is essential. Amazon doesn't get me every time, but there are times when something I wanted went on special that I purchased within a week of the newsletter telling me about it.

Amazon is a good example of a company that I don't mind getting the newsletter, but I don't follow them on social media. And I shop Amazon religiously. Like it was Sears and Roebuck back in the day.

The decision really shouldn't be one or the other. In a perfect world, everyone would have time to do both.

But if you had to choose ether building a large audience of targeted social media followers, or a huge mailing list, which would you choose?
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 03-12-2014 at 12:47 PM.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Wow, that's a tough one. We used to do an e-mail newsletter that got a very good response, and it was very useful for promoting blog posts and specials. It eventually was discontinued simply for lack of time more than anything. We now do quite a bit with social media and have had success on various platforms. For us, right now, I think I'd go with social media over a newsletter, simply because we've been getting a lot of positive engagement which other people can read and participate in. That's a big plus.

I do agree though, in an ideal world we'd do both. I don't see that happening anytime soon, however.

I enjoy doing both, but if I had to choose one, I would take the newsletter. I send out a newsletter once a month; it allows me to reach into my existing customers. I always offer a deal with a call to action and always get at least one sale from it.

Array

If having to choose I'd go for newsletter for sure. Personally, I like trying to use social media to entice people onto my list because that's where the relationships are cemented and the sales are made. I do get customers who find me through social media, but my sales tend to come through referrals and my list.

As a side note, it's not just about a huge list, but having a responsive list.

Newsletter because your email will at least make it to your entire list whereas with social media your post is not promised to be seen by every follower. We do a quarterly newsletter that doesn't take much time to compose but still lets us connect with our list.
    Lead Management Software - Capture Leads, Track Leads, Score Leads, Nurture Leads and more.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LeadMaster View Post
    Newsletter because your email will at least make it to your entire list...
    Still no grantee of it being seen. You can only grantee that it has been sent or posted. Same as social media.

I'm not against newsletters, I'm just making the point.

IMO social media has a better reach, the opportunity for immediate interaction, and a better chance of being shared or syndicated.

Both are meant for different purposes hoever if we have to chose one amongst these two, news letter would be better due to the fact that you have control over it and you are sure that the people will receive it. Social media on the other hand no sure promise of visibility of your message.

Array

Newsletter, because you have fewer fakes and disengaged followers signing up, and when they do it doesn't actually hurt your ability to reach your core audience. Social media needs to fix that issue, and it won't for a while.

The question you pose is an interesting one, both of them are essential, but have to be done write to be "successful". Newsletters are more risky in terms of loosing subscribers I feel. When sending them out, take care to revisit your own personal feelings when receiving a newsletter - examine the frequency and content to try and determine what you think is best for you and your business. You should be sending your emails out to a select group of people, who you know are interested in you and your business. Social media is a much bigger platform, that can help you to access a much wider audience.
    The SEO-Friendly Content Marketing Agency http://crowdbait.co.uk/

Array

Social media - but, I may be a bit biased. I have seen what amazing results social media can produce both in sales and customer relationships.