Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please review this logo.

Array

Default Please review this logo.

During the last six weeks or so I was working on a new logo for Van SEO Design. I was assigned a school project in which I needed to redesign a logo for an existing business. I chose Steve's logo to redesign because I know he's contemplating a new logo, and I know that Steve is a good person to work with. The final result is below.

I arrived at this design through a process of concept development. I started by analyzing the needs and objectives of Steve's business. Once I had that information, I better understood the problem I needed to solve. To get some ideas about what the new logo might look like, I researched the logos that other design businesses use. I then brainstormed by creating 16 hand-drawn thumbnail sketches. After having my facilitator and other students review the sketches, I chose what I believed were the two most promising sketches and created roughs using Adobe Illustrator. I used only black and white when creating these roughs so I could focus on shape and typeface. I also created two more concepts when using Illustrator. Once I felt I had a rough that was most promising, I created six alternatives and posted them for review. Based on the feedback from that review, I chose what was the most promising rough and started adding color.

I believe the colors I chose may have as much impact as the shape and typeface. After doing some research on the meanings of different colors in different cultures, I chose blue to symbolize knowledge and orange to represent creativity. Any design firm should focus on its knowledge of graphic design and its business, and the need for creative thought should be obvious. I tried applying blue and orange to different parts of the logo and concluded that “SEO Design” should appear in orange to impress with a feeling of creative solutions in both design and search-engine optimization. The rest of the logo appears in blue to lend an impression that the business is based in knowledge.

Finally, I did some research about the use of logos as registered trademarks. Since registration with the United States Patent Office (USPTO) is not yet complete, I cannot use the ® symbol on the logo. In its place I'm using the letters “SM” to designate the logo as a service mark.

Questions and comments are welcome.

Jagella

The simple answer is I don’t like it, I think it looks amateurish; I think it shows a lack of creativity and well, I don’t think it presents a professional brand image, especially as you were recreating a logo I would have expected something better than the original.

I know I’m being harsh and I actually thought about not posting this; however as a designer you need to learn to accept such comments and learn from them and move forward... they are after all my opinion only and you did ask.
    Steve Cartwright
    FX Digital Pty Ltd
    Website Design | Promote your Website | Rent a Website

Array

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    The simple answer is I don’t like it, I think it looks amateurish; I think it shows a lack of creativity and well, I don’t think it presents a professional brand image, especially as you were recreating a logo I would have expected something better than the original.

I know I’m being harsh and I actually thought about not posting this; however as a designer you need to learn to accept such comments and learn from them and move forward... they are after all my opinion only and you did ask.
    Actually, it's not the logo I think I would have chosen either! When I brainstormed, I came up with logo ideas I thought are better than this one. What really matters, though, isn't what I like—it's what my client and target audience like. After several reviews, this is the design that survived.

Jagella

Array

Although you are quite well versed in the legality of logos, I think the logo looks ok, but it lacks something, that would pulls it all together, maybe a bit of refinement.

Since logos are commonly the symbol of a business, this logo doesnt really communicate what I think represents the business.

With logos today, using glosses and other textures to create depth this logo simply looks flat and non-inspirational. This logo slightly makes me think about Wal-Mart and their previous use of the star.

Currently, the color scheme doesnt seem to really grab my attention. Its simply text, a circle and a star. Steven, uses the vangogh symbol quite extensively to further brand his business, try incorporating that in someway, which will combine to the two entities.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagella View Post
    Actually, it's not the logo I think I would have chosen either! When I brainstormed, I came up with logo ideas I thought are better than this one. What really matters, though, isn't what I like—it's what my client and target audience like. After several reviews, this is the design that survived.
    Jagella
    To some extent I agree with this and on another level I totally disagree with it... clients come to you for your expertise, they expect you to know what you are talking about and to guide them along the way, so that what they end up with works.

Now, this means that on occasion you will argue with clients and in some instances you will say no to them... because your experience, that the client is paying for tells you there is a better way of doing this... because you know what the client wants will not work, etc...

To give you an example and I have lots, last week a client who we are designing a website for gave us an coloured in sketch of a truck they wanted this to feature on their website... and upon seeing the image... we thought, that will never work, it will never create the impression we are after... so we simply told the client that, the client said that the boss wanted it... we stuck firm and said no... Because we know that the end result will not work, and will not generate the results the client wants...

We also have to worry about our own brand and the impact of having a poorly performing website that looks a mess... because a client wants it that way could be far more damaging to us that telling the client no.

Hope this helps... and sometimes saying no is the hardest thing and on occasion you do lose the odd client because of it, but I think we also gain more as a result.

Hope this helps.
    Steve Cartwright
    FX Digital Pty Ltd
    Website Design | Promote your Website | Rent a Website

Array

i think when you look at a logo you should be able to tell what the person does without reading the words

i like it when they use a symbol which somehow says 'this is what i do'

for a plumber a pipe wrench
    for a carpenter a 2x4

something like that....

i do like the shooting star thingy though.

it does look like a rough first draft and not a finished product.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by huggytree View Post
    i think when you look at a logo you should be able to tell what the person does without reading the words
    This thought is good for your line of work (and similar), Huggy, but it's not a rule with logos in general. Otherwise, you'd have Nike with a sneaker, and McDonald's with a burger.

That said, I don't like the logo at all, Jagella. I agree with the thought that it looks amateurish. Sorry, but it does.
    Dan Furman - Copywriter, Business Author, Entrepreneurial/Business Consultant
    Business Writing Services | Website Copywriting Services | Blog here

Array

Thanks, Rezz. Your comments are well taken.

Jagella

Array

i like it when they use a symbol which somehow says 'this is what i do'

for a plumber a pipe wrench
    for a carpenter a 2x4
    I used to think along the same lines, but I've had a change of heart. Logos represent more than products; they can also represent the business itself, the target market, the internal culture of the business, or a lot of other things. Maybe newer businesses might benefit from a logo that represents a product of the business, but as time goes by people know the business and its product. The product then becomes less important.

it does look like a rough first draft and not a finished product.
    I basically feel the same way, but I did what I had to do. In school, the teacher is always right. If I were creating a logo like this “for real,” I'd spend a lot more time researching Steve's target market and working with Steve himself to come up with something more appropriate. Under the circumstances, I wasn't able to do so.

Jagella

Array

I don't care for the logo either... I'll be interested to see what Steve has to say about it.

I don't like the colors - I think they are too common, orange is better than red but it has become the "new red" lately I've seen it used over and over and over again

I don't like the swirly things and I don't like the font.

I'm drawing a blank on coming up with anything constructive to say. If you presented this logo to me I'd say scrap it and start over.

Sorry to be so harsh... I'm also interested to hear what your professor has to say about the logo.
    ~Jenn
    Crazy Dog Creative: Graphic Design and Marketing