Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your favorite business blogs?

Array

Default What are your favorite business blogs?

I'm looking for some cool blogs to read- so far all I read is ProBlogger, Four Hour Work Week, and I Will Teach You to be Rich. I'd like to hear everyone's recommendations, not just for strictly business blogs, but any that are tangentially related to business- doesn't matter how big or small they are.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Everyday (M-F) I grab my tablet and hit the couch while the news is on and read (browse):

Mashable
    Read Write Web
    Engadget
    TechCrunch
    Fast Company
    Search Engine Land
    Marketing Land
    HOW Design
    The Next Web

If I'm still hungry for more, I'll browse a few Android blogs, PC Computing, and Entrepreneur (Although the articles seem to repeat themselves after while).

Business-related feeds (for me):

Andy Beal
    Blogstorm
    Conversation Marketing
    DesignM.ag (skim the titles... articles repeat quite often... different author, different words, same points... often has advertisement-only posts)
    Drupal Planet (aggregator of Drupal-related content)
    Matt Cutts
    Moz
    Official Google Blog
    SEO Roundtable
    Under30CEO
    Web Designer Depot (skim the titles... articles repeat quite often... different author, different words, same points)
    WorkAwesome
    You're the Boss

And then several of my competitors' blogs...

I also have status feeds for my upstream service providers, but those are mostly for automatic ticket creation.

Hobby feeds:

Balkinization
    OpenCongress
    SCOTUSBlog
    Volokh Conspiracy

And some local political and legal feeds...

Leisurely reading:

Court transcripts and opinions
    Cigar Aficionado (actually have a subscription on my tablet for that)
    Pending legislation

By the way, if you want to guarantee that I won't follow your feed, don't put the complete articles in the feed.
    || VMdoh - Drupal development, consulting, and support

Array

Okay, I see some awesome blogs in there. Totally forgot about Under30CEO- saw that one years ago then didn't keep up with it. Going to go through the rest of those today, see which ones I want to follow. Thanks guys.

Array

My favorties are The Next Web, Techcrunch and Mashable.

Those are great recommendations. I tend to brief through specific Google+ communities for blog articles and news about recent news, I like variation.
    Lead Management Software - Capture Leads, Track Leads, Score Leads, Nurture Leads and more.

Array

Awesome. What I'm especially looking for are blogs with a pretty sizable following where I can either write guest posts or hold a giveaway to draw attention to my site. Under30CEO sounds like it fits the bill- I'm reading through it right now. A few others might too. Figure I'll just e-mail them all if I'm not sure, but it probably rules out major news sites. I'm also looking at GiveGetWin for that purpose- not a blog though. Any other good ones that are more about business/marketing rather than pure tech?

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Awesome. What I'm especially looking for are blogs with a pretty sizable following where I can either write guest posts or hold a giveaway to draw attention to my site.
    You'll be hard pressed to find a blog that is already successful that will let an unknown guest post unless they are experts in their field and can write content that is beneficial to them in some way. People don't just let others guest blog out of the goodness of their hearts so that they can promote their own stuff to their audience. Most successful publications are trying to make money, not send readers to another website.

Also, no one is going to let you use the following that they've built up to promote your website. They will possibly allow you to advertise if it's not a conflict of interest. But that too is doubtful. Most websites don't advertise other websites to their audience unless they are part of a parent company that owns many websites.

You won't see Mashable advertising Gizmodo. But you may see "House Beautiful" running an ad for "Country Living" because they are the same company.

JMO

Array

Yeah, that's what I was figuring. I know places occasionally solicit donations for giveaways- I know problogger did a while back. But it's like you say, that intersection of having the audience and being willing to do it is rare. So that marketing strategy may not be a winner, at least for now.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was figuring. I know places occasionally solicit donations for giveaways- I know problogger did a while back. But it's like you say, that intersection of having the audience and being willing to do it is rare. So that marketing strategy may not be a winner, at least for now.
    Not only that, but depending on your giveaway (assuming your target audience is U.S.), you have state, territory and D.C. laws to contend with. Every state doesn't allow every type of contest. Most general (sign up here for a chance to win this) are covered by most states. I think there's 2 that don't even allow that.
    But other states have strict rules and you'll need to find out who or what area you are allowed to take entries from.