Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disparity between search engines

Array

Default Disparity between search engines

I was wondering what the biggest difference in rankings on the different search engines is with other peoples sites.

I have a site that ranks 9th and 16th for it's two best keywords in Yahoo and is non-existent in google. I use the firefox rank checker and I'm not 100% sure how far it searches, but I believe it goes well over a hundred.

Has anyone else seen such a big difference with the same site in two major search engines like that?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I've had pages rank #1 for a particular phrase on one engine and not rank at all on another. I think rank checker goes back 1000 results which is all the engines show.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

That is common. The search engine rank by different criteria. So what is important for Yahoo is not necessary important for Google.
    HouseView™ - The leading real estate site for South East Missouri. Follow us on Twitter @HVOL.
    Jackson MO Real Estate, Cape Girardeau Missouri Real Estate, Festus Missouri Real Estate

Just checked. I'm number 2 under the manufacturer for Y and G, but way down in the mud in MSN.

I've also noticed huge disparities between Google, Yahoo and Live (MSN). It's like they're all searching through Internets on different planets.
    Access Communications
    Digital Marketing, Content Creation and Web Development
    Winner, MarCom Gold Award 2012

All of which goes to show that when you are looking for something in depth, it really pays to look at more than one search engine. I imagine many of us use the same search engine nearly 100% of the time.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Google is obviously shows the most relevant results. The best way to insure you are seeing them correctly is too make sure you log out of Google and search, or you will get tailored results based on your search habits.

The only way that I have ever been number one on Yahoo, or MSN, is to have the exact search term as the domain, and that doesn't always work either. I admit, I have no idea what MSN uses for an algorithm....at times it seems to take forever just to be indexed.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I've had this happen. The search engines seem to rank based on different things. Eborg9 is right though, Google is the one that really matters. A large percentage of searches will always come from there.

I submitted a sitemap to Bing when it was launched and we really place well on it, top 10-15 for our keywords, Yahoo.. we rank the worst because I refuse to pay them for anything, Google.. within the top 4 pages across the board but our site is fairly new so I don't sweat it.

Bing for us is the fastest to get pages indexed on. Usually just a simple sitemap and you're there.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Lucky for you then that Yahoo search is going away and in all likelihood since you do well with Bing you'll eventually see more visits from a search on a Yahoo property.

I think with Bing it's simply that it's still easier to game. More of the old tricks that would no longer work on Google will still work with Bing.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals