Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spam - Are we part of the problem

Array

Then I guess I'm part of the problem. I'll just have to live with that.
    Steve B

Array

Steve,
    I really don't think you need to live with it. With the same amount of work you can turn your emails into a very useful tool. Since you are already writing about a subject you know well, why not do a blog. This would give you more exposure than the your email and is perceived better.

If you wish to use the email campaigns, make sure you only send to those that want the email. When you send out the quote, have an option to receive additional information. Make sure it is set off by default. These will decrease your database dramatically, but will increase the likelihood the emails are read.
    HouseView™ - The leading real estate site for South East Missouri. Follow us on Twitter @HVOL.
    Jackson MO Real Estate, Cape Girardeau Missouri Real Estate, Festus Missouri Real Estate

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Neal I've been suggesting a blog to Steve for quite some time, but he's resisting.

Steve it's true you could take the email you sent out this morning and turn it into a blog post. You can actually do both. Send out the email to people who opt-in to receive it and also post the content as a blog post. Actually people can subscribe to your blog via email if they want.

The advantage of the blog is it would have the potential to reach more people than your email. And it would help the site pull more search traffic overall.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

I have no interest in a blog because I only sell my service locally. It won't help me any to get web traffic from anywhere outside of a 25 mile radius. I'm sure it will help my local traffic too, but I don't think the small improvement would be worth the effort. Thanks to adwords - I don't think anyone that is local and searches for a dog fence will miss my website.

I also don't have the time (or desire) to do a blog. I can probably write a meaningful article a handful of times a year. My time is better spent doing things that have local impact only. For instance, I've been sending the articles I write to humane societies, local newspapers, home owner associatins, and my current customers.

Based on what I've learned recently, I may start e-mailing them to the people that have requested a quote from me and have not yet purchased anything. This will be a great way to cultivate the prospects that are still thinking about the decision to buy a dog fence.
    Steve B

Something you could always consider, Steve, is adding a shopping cart to your site or on a different site. You are probably going to start getting busy soon as we go into spring, but maybe something for next year. I suppose it could cut into your core business though as people may want to install it themselves, particularly as the economy worsens.

I don't think you particularly want to mess with web stuff either, but just a thought.

Array

Correct on your assumptions. I make the vast majority of my money on the labor - so selling directly would cut into that.

I could have another website to sell stuff that doesn't focus locally, but then the opportunity cost of running that part of the business would pull me away from other things I can be doing for the core business. Also, there are tons of people selling pet supplies - many of them cheaper than I pay wholesale. It's just not a business that interests me. I love meeting the people and their dogs - and being their hero when I solve their problems.
    Steve B

Array

Default Some people just don't want the extra emails

For whatever it's worth, some people just detest spam. And they perceive any emails that they get promoting (nearly) ANY product as spam.

I have to agree with those who have said that an opt-in or opt-out option be made available. And by all means, we should honor the person's wishes.

It is my opinion that IF people perceive what we send out as spam, it could actually cost us business. (Even if my business is not off the ground. I know how a lot of folks feel about "spam")

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Playing Devil's advocate here:
    Example: Say I buy a book at "Joes-Books.com". OK, when I am ready for another book, I would go back there because I got a good price, it arrived quickly, and it was not damaged in shipping, and it was exactly the book I needed.

But does that mean that I want an email every week (or day) telling me of some great deal Joe is having on the novel of the week or maybe some other item he is selling? Hell NO! I don't read novels in the first place. So Joe has just lost a customer. I will go to "Jim's-Books.com" where I can opt-out and not get spam, but just good service.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I had my business up and running, I would like to keep in touch with my customers by email. I would get their permission, maybe just before I leave after a service call. If it were an oral presentation at a group meeting, I would ask for people to OPT-IN if they want a little PC tip now and then.
    (Considering my business will be PC repair & possibly group tutoring.)
    Last edited by IT-GUY; 02-22-2009 at 11:36 AM.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Good points Mr. Wizard. In a sense there are really two definitions of spam. One is the legal definition which we've been talking about here for the most part and the other is simply the perception of the person who receives the email.

Even if someone checked something when they placed an order agreeing to get your email it doesn't mean they want it (many sites force you to check that box to place an order) and while it might not legally be spam they'll still see it as spam and associate your company with sending out spam.

That's why I think a double opt-in is the best approach. Ask them to check something on your site and then make them confirm by clicking on a link in an email. People who do both are much less likely to ever associate spam with your name, particularly if you give them the option to opt-out from the list. Also the double opt-in means you're sending email to people who are genuinely interested in hearing from you. They've given you permission to send the email.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Array

Vangogh,
    You have my vote!

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

What am I running for?