Thread: used vehicle inspections

Array

Default used vehicle inspections

Hello. I have a very small, part-time business selling automotive oils, lubes, cleaners, etc. It is really more of a hobby than a serious business. For some time, I've been thinking about adding used vehicle inspections as a service. I have the technical knowledge and most tools/equipment that I'd need, so there would not be much expense. Does anyone have any experience in this or a related business? Any thought or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, not much of my thoughts going into this other than from a consumer point of view, I needed a mobile mechanic to do a pre purchase inspection on a project 4x4 I bought last September. The truck was located over 6 hour drive from me. I did not know anyone who could refer me a mechanic. I used google and did not find any decent websites or any 2nd party yelp type sites that told me any of them deserved my business. I ended up doing my own noob inspection, I purchased because I had time and money already into the venture by driving a 20 foot trailer with me and when I brought it over the border and had to get my provincial safety insp done, I had to dump another 1k into it in order to pass. Still not such a bad decision but I think the insp could have helped me make a better informed decision and possibly negotiate a lower price.

So, I think there is a market where ever you are and how far you can spread your radius if you go mobile. Having a simple easy to find, high ranked, straight to the point website with some testimonials and symbolic images of happy customers can drive some business your way. I would have called you if you were inside of my search parameters because I called all the shops in the area and they were all booked full.

Array

Thanks for the encouraging response, Russ...I appreciate it!

Array

I know I started this thread months ago, but haven't done much with the idea in the meantime. I'm starting to think again about getting this going, and have one question: what kind of insurance would I need to carry? I would be taking the vehicles for test drives.

Array

ive looked into hiring someone to look at old cars for me that ive seen on ebay......its definitely a needed business and id assume most of your customers will be upper middle class +

id be concerned about liability....if you say something is good and they get the car and find out it needs $5k in repairs you may be on the hook...i wouldnt like the liability part of it...somehow you need to protect yourself on paper

i recommend going after a niche market.....seems like niche markets always are able to charge more...go for the rich guys who buy $25-50k cars off ebay from across the country.