Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Avoiding the spam filters

Array

VG - I just sent you two sample e-mails. I think what I'm trying to accomplish will be cleared up for you.
    Steve B

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Ok, now I get it. I was thinking that might have been what you meant, but I wasn't sure. Maybe you can't do this with CC, but I'm pretty sure you can send text only emails through a 3rd party. It might mean creating your own template though, but you should be able to.

I think also with sending out the mass emails through Outlook that there may be more to it than just how many. Obviously you can send multiple emails out since people do that all the time. You may or may not get an answer from your ISP as they might see the question as you wanting to send out spam and testing them to see what you can get away with. It doesn't hurt to ask though. I think your ISP is stricter than most. I know I've sent out emails in the past that your ISP blocked where others wouldn't.

ISPs look at the header information of an email as well to determine whether it's legit or not. I'm not sure how you view them in Outlook, but there might be a button to view full headers or something like that. In Thunderbird I added an extension that shows me the info. I don't know what all the header information means, but some of it relates to checking if the email is valid.

Do you remember when we first opened the forum and the confirmation emails weren't getting through? It was a simple flag I hadn't set on the admin side that was blocking the emails. Once I set the flag the confirmation emails went through fine.

A personal email is always going to work better. That's why you see even the mass emails starting with Hello {Name} Unfortunately the more emails you try to send at once the less personal they're going to be. Imagine if you emailed each person individually and included one or two things in each specific to that person. You'd probably get a pretty good response, but you obviously couldn't spend all day crafting those emails.

With the 3rd party services you should still be able to send the text only email. There should also be ways to get the template driven emails to work even if they look more polished. That's all I was meaning above. The text only approach probably isn't the only way to increase the response, though it is one way.

I got your emails and I'll take a look at how both look.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

I totally get why you don't like the statements at the end of the emails sent out by third party services, but they are doing it so you as the business owner/sender are in compliance with CAN-SPAM laws which cover commercial email.

The thing is that according to laws covering commercial email...even if you are sending them out from your Outlook...you must list a way for them to opt out of further emails and your address. If you are sending out emails without those then you aren't in compliance...

Also, it's not just subject lines but content that set off the filters, but I'm pretty sure none of us here really have to worry about that part of things in our emails. However, the CAN-SPAM act does apply to all of us. (Well if you live in a country other than the US the same law doesn't apply...but most countries do have some version of the same guidelines/rules)

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I just emailed you Steve and I said some of the same as what Patrysha just said about the statements at the end. Like them or not, I do think you are spamming if those aren't included. I also forwarded you an example of a text only email newsletter I get so you can see it can be done.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

I don't mind the statements at the end at all. But, it does make it obvious that it's from a third party. I understand the need to be in compliance with the law.

Do you happen to know how they define commercial purposes? I'm guessing that since I'm not asking for new business (the sale has already been made and I don't have repeat business) that my e-mails may not fit in that category and would be exempt from the Opt-Out requirment. I could be wrong of course.
    Steve B

Array

Hmmm looks a bit murky...perhaps the lawyers out there will pipe in (we did have one didn't we?)

I'd error on the side of caution...but that's me...

CAN-SPAM defines a "commercial electronic mail message" as "any electronic mail message the primary purpose of which is the commercial advertisement or promotion of a commercial product or service (including content on an Internet website operated for a commercial purpose)." It exempts "transactional or relationship messages."

Array

That sounds like I'm safe. I already have a "relationship" with them and I'm not "advertising or promoting a product" since they already bought it. I'm clarifying the use of the product they already purchased. I do make suggestions that I appreciate referrals - but, that is never the "primary" purpose.

Thanks for all the advice.

I've been collecting e-mails of people that just get a quote from me and have NOT purchased anything, but I haven't used them for anything. Obviously, sending them anything would be in violation of the SPAM laws (as it should be). The only reason they have been collected because they were necessary to send them their quotes.
    Steve B

Array

On further research, yup you're in the clear...

There are no restrictions against a company emailing its existing customers or anyone who has inquired about its products or services, as these messages are classified as "relationship" messages under CAN-SPAM

Array

It sounds very similar to telephone soliciting laws then.

Maybe I can even make use of the people that only got a quote from me.

This has been a helpful discussion. I already bumped your rep Patrysha or I'd do it again.

Thanks.
    Steve B

Array

Sweet my first rep points! Thanks :-)

I think combined with winning my son a bowling party by calling the radio station on his birthday, this has been one of the best weeks ever...

Well maybe...getting voted in promotions director for the Chamber of Commerce last month was pretty cool too...