Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who fixes your computer?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I generally do too, but not everyone feels comfortable making repairs on their own computer. The majority would sooner pay someone else to troubleshoot issues.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Registered Member
    Array

I prefer to repair my PC alone. And I don't want to give other people full access to my PC. I think it is shame for people who don't even want to learn how to do simple tasks on PC. They tell me: "It is simple to you because you know how it works", but I don't have this skills when I was born. When I was 14, father buy me my first PC and there were no people who can help, so I did it myself. Nowadays we have very big number of people who know how to repair PC, so others better use their skills than learn how to do this by themselves. TERRIFYING LAZINESS!!!

Many people prioritize their time and computer repair isn't always at the top. Beyond that, computer repair shops have commercial diagnostic tools. Say you have an intermittent problem, they can hook up the motherboard to a stress tester for 24 hours. You can't.

I've built my last two pc's and have always repaired them. A while back my wifes pc got a virus that wouldn't allow me to save her data even in safe mode. I took it to Geeks to get the data and reinstalled the OS. It cost $100 but it was better use of my time.

We try to fix ourselves as much as possible but there definately is a line where we are costing ourselves more by trying to fix something we just dont know enough about. We have a great computer guru in our small town who we call and he either comes out and takes care of it for us or when possible he takes care of the issue remotely

When it comes to fixing stuff my moto is "if it's already broken, how much worse can I make it?" I'll dig right in but I'm pretty handy. The other side to that motto/logic is that theres a slim chance I can make it so bad that it can't be fixed.

The phrase around here, no matter what goes wrong, is "dad can fix it". lol. Then of course I have to fix it to keep my reputation in good standing.
    Pete - Reflo Ltd - A smart alternative to sippy cups
    www.reflo.net

Array

Although my business is a one-person cottage internet industry, I buy my computers from Dell using a business account. I buy a three year, next-day in-home (or at your business) service contract. When I need to talk to tech support on the phone, I can actually understand them! (They speak English - at least the ones that I have used). You cannot beat the service! And as for my other out-of-warranty Dell laptop, I take it to CompUSA when it needs help.

Dell contracts with local businesses to service their contracts. You could possibly handle some of their work.
    Last edited by ruth; 01-23-2011 at 12:41 AM.

Array

i rarely have a problem...every few years it gets to the point where i have to reformat my hard drive and reinstall everything...ive never taken it in to anyone....we got a new computer over 2 years ago and have never done anything with it or needed to!