Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: where/how often to place contact info/form?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I think the contact form mentions are because Bryan happened to mention contact form in his original question. I know I shouldn't speak for everyone, but I think we're all generally talking about contact information, whether that's a phone number, an email, or a form.

You're right that you should offer more than a form. My guess is a form is probably the least favorable means of contact, though I suspect for some it's their first option. It's usually best to offer as many ways as possible for people to contact you.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

I tend to want to stay from publicizing an email address, because it allows such a large amount of spam to flood through. By requiring the use of the form, I can filter those spammers through my system which can remove them.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

You can create a separate email just for the business and try a few tricks to limit the spam, though you'll still get spam. Your contact form is going to get spammed too and it still has to go to some email address. I laugh at some of the things that come through my contact form. People spam it like it's a forum. I get all sorts of "I've been lurking on this forum for awhile now..." stuff. I find it amusing and it's not that hard to clear out.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Array

In my early days on the 'net, I had my e-mail address on every page of my website and must have been quickly added to every spamlist then in existence. My worst spam day was 1,752 messages.

Someone told me this dodge - use ascii numbers for characters, so, in code, your e-mail adress looks like this -- <A HREF="mailto:frederick& #64;& #102;& #114;& #101;& #100;& #101;& #114;& #105;& #099;& #107;& #112;& #101;& #97;& #114;& #99;& #101;& #046;& #099;& #111;& #109;?Subject=MENTORING ENQUIRY">e-mail address</A>

(Remove all the spaces, of course.)

That almost immediately reduced my spamload to a tiny proportion and it has never returned to any great quantity. I don't know if this dodge still works and my lack of e-mail spam is due to later more efficient spam filters. But that's how I still code my e-mail address.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

That helps, but spammers can still pick it up in time. It does help block some people so it makes sense the spam would be reduced. I don't think there's anything you can do to completely prevent your email being found other than not posting it all. Some people use javascript, some replace the @ with [at], though you then have to type it in and don't get the link. Some people use images. I just use an email address I don't use for anything else.

I use the javascript approach. I'm on every spam list in the world. I think that happened because my email is sitting in the inbox or address book of virus infected computers used by my customers.