Thread: What are pros and cons of using Shopify or similar?

Array

Default What are pros and cons of using Shopify or similar?

Don't want to particularly target Shopify, but I don't know much about e-commerce.

Say you have a brand new product. It's so amazing that immediately you also have a few add-ons for it. Maybe even a smaller cheaper version of the product. It's instantly a website with a good handful of products to sell.

So what are the pros and cons of using a service like Shopify? I think there are a couple of others. Each claim superior everything all the time.

Any user experience here?

Array

Dear moderator:
    This topic could be moved over to the Ecommerce forum. I didn't realize.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I've never used Shopify, but haven't heard anything bad about it. It's true there are a ton of eCommerce solutions out there. And each is not good for every situation.
    It's best to make a list of your needs first, before you can determine which is best for you.

And also be honest about your technical skills. Some require more than others. You don't want to spend hours a day trying to learn how to work and style the thing. On the flip side some people love having complete control.
    For me, the biggest issue is cost vs. benefit. Some eCommerce solutions have high fees, but sometimes the support can make it worth it.

I also think about how flexible it will be when it comes time to grow, or if needed, move.

But I can't say I have any bad reviews or experiences with Shopify specifically.

Array

Shopify as a company is actually really good. If you've ever taken a look at their career page.. they really take care of their employees.
    It's endorsed by a few members of Dragons Den as well.

The cons of using the service is the monthly fees ontop of the cost of payment gateway transactions. I don't know anything about the usability of it in terms of allowing people to customize it without knowing much coding. Look up some youtube videos on customizing shopify themes and that may give you a good understanding of what needs to be done and if you can do it yourself.

The other aspect is knowing how to market it and designing for it. If you plan to make money sooner than later, I'd hire someone to do that for you.
    Graphic & Web Design [ View Portfolio ]
    Services: Logo Designs, Stationery, Brochures, Flyers, Booklets, Direct Mail, E-Newsletters, Websites, Store Signage, Packaging & Printing

Registered Member
    Array

Hi, Shopify is one of most famous E-commerce supplier. I have studied it before. Though it has wide category of products, the price is not so competitive. It is difficult to sell. I think you can try to find a reliable supplier to help you, which will save the month fee and gain more profit. If you have more question, maybe we can discuss.