Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quickbooks

Mr. Tax Man
    Array

You don't need to add an item first. Just make sure that you set up everything with the "data mapping" so your spreadsheet and Quickbooks are all speaking the same language.

You should be able to use all of the fields necessary, including item #s, prices, costs, vendors, etc. Data mapping just makes certain that your "Supplier" column equals the "Vendor" that Quickbooks calls it.

Of course there may be some issue if your vendors are not in Quickbooks. As I haven't ever done this myself, I cannot provide you with much more information. But I do know what you're doing is feasible.
    Small Business CPA
    "A tax loophole is something that benefits the other guy. If it benefits you, it's tax reform."

I'm trying to set up one item so I can see all the categories etc. All my items are dropshipped. I have no inventory. For the item do I use non inventory part or inventory part? I tried non inventory part. There is nothing for account that matches this?

Also, I selected taxable. To my knowledge I only need to tax it if it ships to and end user in Florida. Most of my customers either resell or are tax exempt. Should I have selected taxable? I'm assuming I can remove the tax on quotes or orders when I actually enter them?

Mr. Tax Man
    Array

That is fine that you have no physical inventory. It doesn't matter what you describe it as. Generally speaking, inventory is what you keep in stock, and non-inventory is what you sell but have to special order. I guess non-inventory may better fit your description.

Taxable is correct. Each customer (or "job" if your customers have more than one shipping location) you can select whether they client is subject to tax or not. Just be on the lookout to make sure those who are exempt or out-of-state aren't being charged.
    Small Business CPA
    "A tax loophole is something that benefits the other guy. If it benefits you, it's tax reform."