Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: what should i expect to pay monthly for SEO ?

Array

Quote Originally Posted by huggytree View Post
    Hi David,

Sorry this took so long... Paul, was uh... not so easy to deal with. We were asking for pretty standard industry stuff and he was not working with us. As a result we spent several hours trying to manually piece the site back together for you and we were successful moving the site, not your stored emails however. You might have to save those locally on your computer.
    What does this even mean? This guy hasn't communicated with you properly in my opinion. Instead of telling you your web developer is an a-hole to him he should actually tell you how he is being hard to deal with and what he isn't providing him properly.

What does "piece the site together" even mean? There's no piecing it together. You GET THE FILES off FTP then GET DATABASE FILE AND UPLOAD! THERE IS NO PIECING!

The NEXT step they are going to tell you is that they are CHARGING YOU EXTRA, because your developer is being unreasonable and not providing "pretty standard stuff".

Contact paul and figure out what he's being unreasonable about and DEMAND answers as to what is not being provided. None of this smoke and mirrors crap. Where are the DETAILS of what is going on? You should be CC'd ON ALL EMAILS. This is a load of BS.

BTW I sound like an angry troll.. not to you but to the dudes that are "doing the dance" with you! I have sympathy for plumbers otherwise, they are great people.
    Last edited by Wozcreative; 01-22-2014 at 05:02 PM.
    Graphic & Web Design [ View Portfolio ]
    Services: Logo Designs, Stationery, Brochures, Flyers, Booklets, Direct Mail, E-Newsletters, Websites, Store Signage, Packaging & Printing

Array

I had 3 emails before this asking for things and showing Pauls response....I have no exact idea what it means......

this was the last email...ill try to find the others

Array

I guess my old web designer is either causing problems for my new seo guy or doesn't have enough knowledge...my new web guy had to piece my website back together and work around my old website guy.....the old guy couldn't transfer it for some reason.....since my email is with the old designer too he suggested using GoDaddy for my email....

what a mess....

any thoughts on godaddy email?

looks like my website will be down for a couple of days until the new guy can piece if back together

:Sigh: We've all said it before - Avoid GoDaddy and 1and1 like the plauge...I would also add hostgator to that list.

If your looking for a reputable hosting company that has 24/7 support (I don't do 24/7 support so my name isn't going to be there lol), then I would recommend the following from this list (Hosting Providers | cPanel, Inc.)
    BurstNet
    HostDime
    LiquidWeb
    WiredTree

In all reality, your site should not be down for more than a few hours, let alone days to perform a site transfer. If you want some assistance, then PM me and I'll provide my contact information.

Regarding e-mail - If anything, I would suggest using a GMail Business Account for $50/user per year. This keeps your e-mail separate from your webhost, and if you end up transferring your site to different hosts over the next few years, your e-mail will stay in the same place with very little issues.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Huggy, you said that you get conflicting advice from different people on different forums. Well, that's pretty normal. If you ask a question 5 times, you'll get responses from people with varying experiences, knowledge and motives.

Somewhere along with that varied advice, should be your own due diligence, and education on what you are buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    Huggy, you said that you get conflicting advice from different people on different forums. Well, that's pretty normal. If you ask a question 5 times, you'll get responses from people with varying experiences, knowledge and motives.

Somewhere along with that varied advice, should be your own due diligence, and education on what you are buying.
    I didn't go back and review all of the posts on this thread, but if you look at the posts from all the 'competent' people on this thread I don't recall many contradictions. There may have been different ways to approach the problem, but that's not saying the post above you is wrong.

Array

By the way, just so you don't get conflicting advice.. the reason why MyITGuy is saying to stay away from hostgator (while for the most part I supported it along with a few others), is because they have recently dropped the ball on their customers and have been down 3 times last year.. and went down on new years. Do your own research while listening to advice.

But there are quite a bit of unanimous things we do say here on the board which you did go against (and it bit you in the butt). As professionals who do this day in and day out, we know the warning signs. One thing that is a tell tale sign about Paul, was that he was no longer really running his business due to the fact that his website says.... 2009. His client websites are even OLDER than that. The site came out nice and 10x better than any of his portfolio pieces. This tells me he hired someone else.

Freelancers never have time to update their website. But to not update it for 4 (going on 5) years just means he's not practicing anymore. But of course that's not something anyone would know who doesn't do this on a regular basis. Just sending it home that we do know phoney balonies when we see them.

@harold - by the way I sent you an email to your support email listed on your site.. I haven't gotten a response unless it got lost in my email.
    Graphic & Web Design [ View Portfolio ]
    Services: Logo Designs, Stationery, Brochures, Flyers, Booklets, Direct Mail, E-Newsletters, Websites, Store Signage, Packaging & Printing

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wozcreative View Post
    @harold - by the way I sent you an email to your support email listed on your site.. I haven't gotten a response unless it got lost in my email.
    I see it now. Went to the junk folder for some reason. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 01-23-2014 at 01:57 AM.

It often depends on the type of SEO. Be sure that the methods are not blackhat, as this may damage your site's rankings in the future. The last thing you want is a detrimental drop due to a change in google's algorithm. Another factor is the saturation of your keyword(s) and niche.
    ]Get a FREE website designed for your business. Simply visit www.mysabusiness.com and submit a request!

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Stafford View Post
    It often depends on the type of SEO. Be sure that the methods are not blackhat, as this may damage your site's rankings in the future. The last thing you want is a detrimental drop due to a change in google's algorithm. Another factor is the saturation of your keyword(s) and niche.
    the company I hired does White Hat only

their changes are supposed to go live in a couple of days

they are going to bench mark all my pages and then keep track of them moving up/down

with all the extreme cold weather I didn't get 1 call from my website for frozen pipes/burst pipe repairs.....so I know my website still isn't working for me the way it should at the moment

by this time next year I expect more phone calls than I can handle when these emergency things happen....there has to be thousands of people with issues locally....not to get 1 call is sad.....I should have gotten 5-10+ a day...maybe 50 a day

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

by this time next year I expect more phone calls than I can handle when these emergency things happen....there has to be thousands of people with issues locally....not to get 1 call is sad.....I should have gotten 5-10+ a day...maybe 50 a day
    Your expectations are a little unrealistic. SEO alone is NOT going to do that for you. SEO is only one part of your overall marketing and promotion plan. If your goal is 5-10 or even 50 calls a day, you will have to have a solid online AND offline marketing strategy going. It all works together.

I know you are going to respond with how someone else gets [insert arbitrary number] of business from their website. I'm here to tell you there's more to it. I get 80% of my business from my website. But it's not all just from SEO. It's a lot of factors. My website is just where most end up before they take the final action to contact me, but not necessarily the first place they saw or heard about me.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 02-01-2014 at 11:49 AM.