Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: what should i expect to pay monthly for SEO ?

Array

Default what should i expect to pay monthly for SEO ?

Now that the website is finally done im moving into the next phase and hiring someone for SEO

the designer is giving me 1 month free and admits to not knowing enough(even though when I hired him for the website he said he knew) he is asking for free advice from a friend of his who is a SEO expert

So it looks like it may be better to hire someone who specializes in it

Woz gave me a lead on one and im in the process of vetting him

how much should I expect to pay for SEO?

when I was deciding on which web designer to go with I was given estimates of $300-800 a month

right now im getting a measly 1-2% of my sales from my website...my goal is 20% (my 2013 gross is $525,000 and internet sales for 2013 are a whopping $8,500(in 2012 they were $16,000 with the exact same website)

if I can make $100,000 a year extra I have no issues with paying $800 a month for SEO......id rather pay more to get more

what do I need to know to make my decision on who to hire?

Array

Price doesn't matter how much you pay. What matters is what they are offering.

You hired your developer on the basis that he knows SEO. The site is missing basic On-Site SEO features. Don't hire anyone on the basis that you want to pay more of that they can promise you false claims like getting you to #1 on google or promising you a % in sales calls. You need someone that will educate you on it properly.

Learn about

On-site SEO
    Off-site SEO
    Social Media Management (Aslo counts as SEO)

All 3 of these are different specialties.. and they all branch out even more if you want better results. Your developer ignored the on-site SEO so now you will have to hire someone to add all that info in.. and teach you how to do it yourself in the future whenever you update the site.

So again.. the question is not about how much should you pay (you did this with your website too, remember?), it is what can these guys offer me?

Here are some fantastic questions from a reputable blog that have examples of questions to ask SEO experts: 12 Questions to Ask Before Hiring an SEO Expert
    Last edited by Wozcreative; 12-27-2013 at 07:45 PM.
    Graphic & Web Design [ View Portfolio ]
    Services: Logo Designs, Stationery, Brochures, Flyers, Booklets, Direct Mail, E-Newsletters, Websites, Store Signage, Packaging & Printing

In addition to what Waz just said, SEO is something that should be done in conjunction with your website. They really aren't two separate things. Not trying to bust your hump here Huggy, but you need to think in terms of what can I get from my website or online marketing. Just think of online as another category of marketing which you need to know going into the future.

Array

I was given a quote for $750 a month from Woz's friend.....ouch!

that was for 12 keywords

very hard to swallow

I asked what $450 a month will get me?

they also focused heavily on Milwaukee which id rather skip....I think the competition for Milwaukee is HUGE and 6-7 keywords were for Milwaukee...so im hoping by going after the suburbs around Milwaukee will be less costly

is $9,000 a year too much or am I being cheap?

sure if I could get $90,000 of business for $9,000 id be thrilled.....but if I only get $20,000 I will be upset.....and of course no one can guarantee anything...so im just rolling the dice

$750 puts them in line with my original web designer that wanted $15,000 to build a website and $8,00 a month for SEO

Array

Quote Originally Posted by huggytree View Post
    I was given a quote for $750 a month from Woz's friend.....ouch!

that was for 12 keywords

very hard to swallow

I asked what $450 a month will get me?

they also focused heavily on Milwaukee which id rather skip....I think the competition for Milwaukee is HUGE and 6-7 keywords were for Milwaukee...so im hoping by going after the suburbs around Milwaukee will be less costly

is $9,000 a year too much or am I being cheap?

sure if I could get $90,000 of business for $9,000 id be thrilled.....but if I only get $20,000 I will be upset.....and of course no one can guarantee anything...so im just rolling the dice

$750 puts them in line with my original web designer that wanted $15,000 to build a website and $8,00 a month for SEO
    Interesting.. they were a company that a good friend of mine used/referred me to.. It's interesting they are basing success off of keywords. Which is the wrong way of going about it for 2014.

You are not being cheap.. you just don't know what internet marketing and SEO is and expecting it to be a bandaid for more money which doesn't really work that way. SEO is like building a sandcastle close to the water, sometimes you will get lucky and the water won't wash it away.. other times you have to re-work your strategy and build new walls.

The problem is to find someone who knows and can explain to what they will do and how they will do it and what cannot be done or isn't reasonable. Keywords is an older strategy.. in my opinion you just need someone who is an expert at google pay per clicks ads.
    Graphic & Web Design [ View Portfolio ]
    Services: Logo Designs, Stationery, Brochures, Flyers, Booklets, Direct Mail, E-Newsletters, Websites, Store Signage, Packaging & Printing

Array

I just got an email from the original $15k website builder I considered going with.....basically ripping on my new website

I asked them to quote me for SEO

their price was similar and I have no doubts they know what they are doing....they are very successful...I hear their customers radio ads daily (I know who their existing customers are)...very impressive....

I still am wondering if I need 15 websites...one for each city....that strategy sure worked for a competitor who did it....he's #1 for almost every city now...and his website sucks...his designer was my 3rd bid for the website project...he was $9k and I didn't choose him because I didn't like the strategy of 15 websites.....im starting to wonder if that would have been the cheaper and better way to go originally

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Wozcreative View Post
    Interesting.. they were a company that a good friend of mine used/referred me to.. It's interesting they are basing success off of keywords. Which is the wrong way of going about it for 2014.

You are not being cheap.. you just don't know what internet marketing and SEO is and expecting it to be a bandaid for more money which doesn't really work that way. SEO is like building a sandcastle close to the water, sometimes you will get lucky and the water won't wash it away.. other times you have to re-work your strategy and build new walls.

The problem is to find someone who knows and can explain to what they will do and how they will do it and what cannot be done or isn't reasonable. Keywords is an older strategy.. in my opinion you just need someone who is an expert at google pay per clicks ads.

I asked them if the keywords was their only strategy and they said its just part of it

i am starting to accept $750 a month as a normal price........i am going to have pretty high expectations for that pricing.....they are pretty much promising page 1 within 12 months or less for the 13 keywords and then were going to move onto other keywords

i asked for 3 references..

thanks for your help everyone!

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

In all honesty, I'd have someone do a one time SEO overhaul to insure that your onsite SEO is all that it could be, make sure that your Google and Linked In profiles are dialed in, insure that you are providing people with enough information to make a decision and entice them to contact you, and that there is a clear call to action on your site that is easy to use.

Once that is done... for you and your business....I'd suggest investigating Google and other online ads. I think a well crafted and consistent ad campaign targeting the markets and demographic that you want will give you better results than spending that same money on SEO and hoping for the best.

You could blow thousands before you realize whoever you hire is not going to get you any results or are taking shortcuts that Google now frowns on. That's money that you could have spent on ads.

Ads are immediately measurable and you can make adjustments on the fly that go into effect immediately. SEO is a long term strategy and it doesn't seem like you have the time to wait. $750 a month in online ads should get you a lot of visibility in your target markets, and since you only pay per click, you can see immediately what is working or not..and with a little help can figure out why and make adjustments.

For best results you may want to build a one page landing page on your site that is designed specifically for your ad.

Yes, you'll have to learn about ads and how to spend wisely, however, I think once you get it down you will be much happier with the results and you will learn how to handle at least one very important aspect of your own web marketing that you can control yourself.

I now get 80% of my business from my website and other online avenues, but it took me 3 years to get it that way with the last year being the most significant since I had learned from my previous mistakes and implemented a new strategy. That's the thing about SEO...it's time consuming, takes a while to figure out what works for you based on competition, and results vary.

Ads are immediately measurable, have definite placement depending on how you spend and what the competition is, and go into effect as soon as you place them.

Something else to consider....no amount of SEO in the world can top Google's paid ad spots at the top of the page. Those places will ALWAYS show first.

In the meantime while your money is working for you, you can learn SEO basics to do yourself.

If I had that budget to spend for a year, that's the way I'd do it.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 01-01-2014 at 12:38 AM.

Hi, my name is Cameron Thomas, I graduated from Full Sail University for Internet Marketing, and I have been doing PPC since 2012. (I've also had SEO Internships) PPC is SEO's cousin. Let me tell you this-none of these people here telling you what to do are giving you good answers. Why? They HAVEN'T SEEN YOUR WEBSITE. SEO is very involved and the only way you could get a good solution is if someone saw your website. This situation is very close to a situation where you ask: " How much is it going to be to fix my car?", and everyone starts giving you prices and advice when they haven't even SEEN your car. How about posting your website up here. On page optimization for SEO might work,(might not) but truthfully, SEO depends on many factors at the same. First post your website here so people could get a better idea of whether SEO or PPC would be the better choice. $9000 a year? Uh..it depends on the website, and the situation. You probably might need that much.Probably. What is your website address?
    Last edited by CameronThomas12; 01-01-2014 at 10:09 PM.

Array

Actually Cameron. Seeing as you only have three posts here you wouldn't know this but WE HAVE ALL SEEN HIS WEBSITE!!! MANY MANY TIMES over the years. Because we have all been here for much longer than the one day you have.