Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 101

Thread: what should i expect to pay monthly for SEO ?

  1. #11

    Default

    I was wrong about the people not seeing his website , but my general attitude is that he deserves more detailed advice. I know that this is important, and I'd like to give him the best advice possible-because things like this are very sensitive. There are people that overcharge for SEO, and people who don't know what they are doing when it comes to SEO, and will waste your time. I think more detailed advice is needed for his situation, such as:

    What kinds of keywords does he want to rank for?
    What kinds of questions to ask the SEO to see what he knows?
    Does he know how to see good keywords for himself?

    etc.


    I might have not seen it, but I'd like to myself.
    Last edited by CameronThomas12; 01-02-2014 at 02:18 AM.

  2. #12
    Registered User
    Array
    Wozcreative's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CameronThomas12 View Post
    I was wrong about the people not seeing his website , but my general attitude is that he deserves more detailed advice. I know that this is important, and I'd like to give him the best advice possible-because things like this are very sensitive. There are people that overcharge for SEO, and people who don't know what they are doing when it comes to SEO, and will waste your time. I think more detailed advice is needed for his situation, such as:

    What kinds of keywords does he want to rank for?
    What kinds of questions to ask the SEO to see what he knows?
    Does he know how to see good keywords for himself?

    etc.


    I might have not seen it, but I'd like to myself.
    If you don't see the information provided for him, or questions that need to be asked not being asked.. why not just do that yourself instead of dismissing everyone else's advice?
    Graphic & Web Design [ View Portfolio ]
    Services: Logo Designs, Stationery, Brochures, Flyers, Booklets, Direct Mail, E-Newsletters, Websites, Store Signage, Packaging & Printing

  3. #13
    Refugee from the .com
    Array
    cbscreative's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    2,915

    Default

    Cameron, you need a lesson in forum etiquette. Take note of the join dates of most of the people posting here. We've known huggy (virtually) for over 5 years and actually longer since this forum spun off another one a lot of us were active on before new owners trashed it (huggy, Harold, Patrysha, myself, and many others were members of the other forum for years before this one needed to be started). When we are having a discussion here like this we know what we're talking about.

    All new members are gladly welcomed; that's even what we're her for; to be the best small biz forum on the web. But to barge in with presumptuous posts like yours is not going to go over well. It's not the others here who are "not giving good answers," it's you. Feel free to express your opinion even if it doesn't agree with ours but accusing us of not knowing what we're talking about on your first day here is not a good strategy.
    Steve Chittenden

    Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

    "Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

  4. #14
    Registered User
    Array
    huggytree's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mukwonago, WI
    Posts
    3,051

    Default

    Here's the plan from the SEO guy I want to go with....I talked for 30 minutes with him last night and he's able to explain things very well....any criticisms on his plan?

    he wants to move me from my old web guys server to HIS server...I most likely wont do that part.

    I will most likely sign with him tomorrow night





    Thanks for the phone call. As promised here is a rough outline of what we'd for you, and the costs involved. Yes, Milwaukee is a possibility, we just need to identify a few top competitors and start reverse engineering their rank basically.

    $300/Per Month x 6 Months (proposed). If you want to move it onto our dedicated server for hosting then that would be an additional $247/setup cost and renewable annually at the same amount ($247). You would have your own Cpanel account and have the benefit of being with a larger service provider with a track record of reliability.

    Month 1

    - identify target service areas and services
    - assess local competition (backlinks/citations)
    - rewrite website title tags for every page.
    - rewrite website links (eg /water-heaters/ --->/waukesha-water-heater-replacement-repair-installations/)
    - create 301 redirect file pointing old links to new.
    - thicken up content on service area pages.
    - setup gravity forms plugin (contact form on every page).
    - create review-us page and link with social profiles.
    - weekly rank reports (4)
    - monthly citation report (1)

    Month 2

    - make decisions based on weekly reports/citation reports
    - acquire any citations competitors have that you don't ($3.00 each)
    - create 3 new pages/or blog posts for target service/areas
    - weekly rank reports (4)
    - monthly citation report (1)

    Month 3

    - make decisions based on weekly reports/citation reports
    - acquire any citations competitors have that you don't ($3.00 each)
    - create 3 new pages/or blog posts for target service/areas
    - weekly rank reports (4)
    - monthly citation report (1)

    Month 4

    - make decisions based on weekly reports/citation reports
    - acquire any citations competitors have that you don't ($3.00 each)
    - create 3 new pages/or blog posts for target service/areas
    - weekly rank reports (4)
    - monthly citation report (1)

    Month 5

    - make decisions based on weekly reports/citation reports
    - acquire any citations competitors have that you don't ($3.00 each)
    - create 3 new pages/or blog posts for target service/areas
    - weekly rank reports (4)
    - monthly citation report (1)

    Month 6

    - make decisions based on weekly reports/citation reports
    - acquire any citations competitors have that you don't ($3.00 each)
    - create 3 new pages/or blog posts for target service/areas
    - weekly rank reports (4)
    - monthly citation report (1)
    - 6 month review/consultation

  5. #15
    Registered User
    Array
    Wozcreative's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    952

    Default

    I'll wait for what others will say. I Rolled my eyes at the first month. Some of it I told you the first developer should have done (IE re-writing the links) and title tags. That's web dev 101 and super easy (you can do yourself). Heck I will even show you myself with a single screenshot.

    I also roll my eyes at the "dedicated server" part. You don't need that. You're not running an online store. Simple $80 account would do with a well known safe server.

    I am also SUPER confused at the "contact forms on every page". What the heck? They should be re-evaluating the content and making decisions on call to actions and not spamming the site with contact forms!

    What I'd do at this stage is ask them to send you a sample of what a "weekly rank report" looks like and a "monthly citation report". That way you can actually see what the heck you will be seeing and "evaluating" at the end of each month. If you can't understand it, theres no point. How will you know if it's working?


    Whatever man! These "SEO" companies are still proving to be a bunch of Poo poo! I can't WAIT to see what the others would say to the above. I'm always looking to learn and if they can prove me wrong... then I'd love that too!
    Graphic & Web Design [ View Portfolio ]
    Services: Logo Designs, Stationery, Brochures, Flyers, Booklets, Direct Mail, E-Newsletters, Websites, Store Signage, Packaging & Printing

  6. #16
    Registered User
    Array
    huggytree's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mukwonago, WI
    Posts
    3,051

    Default

    they are also going to build me a mobile site..i assume that's something for smart phones?

    and get rid of the wow slider type

    my old developer wasn't very responsive...I just wanted to get things done and move on....the new guy im hiring IS responsive

    he is not charging me much for SEO....and he's telling me what he's going to do....I like that....Woz the guy you recommended wanted $750 and never did really explain what im getting for that $750......

    this guy is putting a heavy emphasis on me getting reviews on bing and other sites....

    I also like the fact that he only goes 6 months out...that tells me in 6 months I should have proof of what he's doing....the way I see it he's giving himself 6 months to prove he's working for me.....while others are vague on how long things may take....

    I like the guy too....hey Woz---he's Canadian like You!

    his business is geared only for sub contractors...so he has experience with my field..i like that too...you'd think there would be an edge there

  7. #17
    Registered User
    Array
    Wozcreative's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huggytree View Post
    they are also going to build me a mobile site..i assume that's something for smart phones?

    and get rid of the wow slider type

    my old developer wasn't very responsive...I just wanted to get things done and move on....the new guy im hiring IS responsive

    he is not charging me much for SEO....and he's telling me what he's going to do....I like that....Woz the guy you recommended wanted $750 and never did really explain what im getting for that $750......

    this guy is putting a heavy emphasis on me getting reviews on bing and other sites....

    I also like the fact that he only goes 6 months out...that tells me in 6 months I should have proof of what he's doing....the way I see it he's giving himself 6 months to prove he's working for me.....while others are vague on how long things may take....

    I like the guy too....hey Woz---he's Canadian like You!

    his business is geared only for sub contractors...so he has experience with my field..i like that too...you'd think there would be an edge there
    Well the way you put it that makes sense to me. Yea it's strange the developer also didn't make a mobile friendly site.
    Either way, as long as he's explaining things to you and you understand it and you're happy with it then go for it.

    I guess it's just basic stuff that I already include in my websites when building them and can't justify paying people to do it when it's really simple stuff, but since your developer dropped the ball on it, it makes sense to get them to fix it up and add what is missing.
    Graphic & Web Design [ View Portfolio ]
    Services: Logo Designs, Stationery, Brochures, Flyers, Booklets, Direct Mail, E-Newsletters, Websites, Store Signage, Packaging & Printing

  8. #18
    Registered User
    Array
    MyITGuy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huggytree View Post
    he wants to move me from my old web guys server to HIS server...I most likely wont do that part.
    Glad to see you keeping things seperated...however you should look at moving your website somewhere. Your site right now is slow which will impact your google ranking (Could be the server, or could use some wordpress cache/optimization)

    Quote Originally Posted by huggytree View Post
    If you want to move it onto our dedicated server for hosting then that would be an additional $247/setup cost and renewable annually at the same amount ($247). You would have your own Cpanel account and have the benefit of being with a larger service provider with a track record of reliability.
    Just to be clear, you are not getting a dedicated server. You will be using a dedicated server that they rent from another provider and share among all their clients...so likely no better than where your currently at.

    Additionally, as we've mentioned/questioned before...what are you getting for that $20/month that goes above and beyond the other providers who offer web hosting for $3-5/month?

    As far as the actual work goes...its BS. Month 1 is what your web developer should be doing to complete the work. Months 2 through 6 basically consists of writing 3 blogs and purchasing some google Ads (Assuming this is what citations means?). Definitely not worth $1800 in my opinion...

  9. #19
    Registered User
    Array
    huggytree's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mukwonago, WI
    Posts
    3,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
    Glad to see you keeping things seperated...however you should look at moving your website somewhere. Your site right now is slow which will impact your google ranking (Could be the server, or could use some wordpress cache/optimization)



    Just to be clear, you are not getting a dedicated server. You will be using a dedicated server that they rent from another provider and share among all their clients...so likely no better than where your currently at.

    Additionally, as we've mentioned/questioned before...what are you getting for that $20/month that goes above and beyond the other providers who offer web hosting for $3-5/month?

    As far as the actual work goes...its BS. Month 1 is what your web developer should be doing to complete the work. Months 2 through 6 basically consists of writing 3 blogs and purchasing some google Ads (Assuming this is what citations means?). Definitely not worth $1800 in my opinion...
    what should he be doing?

    every single guy tells me something different....I have a similar post on a contractor forum and I hear different things from different people....everyone seems to have a different way to get to be #1...I don't want to take a college course...I just want to hire someone..

  10. #20
    Registered User
    Array
    Wozcreative's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    952

    Default

    in my opinion you need:

    1) Get your on-site SEO up to par (fix what the developer dropped the ball on).. it is generally about 5 hours of work.
    2) Hire someone specifically for Adwords and get them to teach you how to do it yourself. You had a bad first experience but i think it is because you came in blindly (and your old site was really bad).
    3) Move the site so you can control it and hire anyone you want at any time. Do not do retainers, that's a waste of $.


    Theres not a lot of people who will do it though because they want to sell you a big poo poo of an SEO package. To get a site that looks good (like yours), it is a quick job. You just need to find someone who knows on-site seo and will take on a small one time job like that.
    Last edited by Wozcreative; 01-07-2014 at 09:22 PM.
    Graphic & Web Design [ View Portfolio ]
    Services: Logo Designs, Stationery, Brochures, Flyers, Booklets, Direct Mail, E-Newsletters, Websites, Store Signage, Packaging & Printing

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •