Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: social media--what should i be doing?

Yes, social is getting more and more important. Facebook is probably a good place to start - we found it offered more results than Twitter. Our blog shares tips you might use - blog.sitesell.com (type or copy and paste into your browser).

Good luck!

If you want clients NOW then social media is not a great place to be spending a lot of time. Direct communication and networking is more efficient for swift development of clientele. However building your social media presence, blog, etc. can be beneficial over the long stretch.
    Lead Management Software - Capture Leads, Track Leads, Score Leads, Nurture Leads and more.

Array

For your contractor clients I'd go Linked In for the most part, but only if the people in your area are that type of contractor...the redneck type contractor is not going to be on linked in but the more citified professional contractor will be - who's your customer? Pinterest might be a hot on for your remodeling type work, but really depends on your demographic. As has been said over and over...you want to use the tools your customer is already using or used to. You want to be found where they are looking for you...So...where are your customers?

Array

I post to my Facebook business page about 3 times per week. I have organically grown to 395 likes in about two years. I don't rely on it for leads and have only landed a few jobs from it which is why I only spend maybe an hour a week on it. I tend to stick the the "three P's"... Personal, Product, Promotion. A balance of all three seems to keep the page going as well as keep my company fresh in people's minds.
    Veritas Custom Graphics & Advertising
    Custom Shirts, Signs, Banners, Vehicle Lettering & Graphic Design
    FREE SHIPPING Nation Wide

Array

You should have a well established account on Facebook, Twitter, Stumbleupon, LinkedIn, etc. You should have a good amount of followers that are interested on your business or the product you are selling. Post informative articles to keep your followers.

I think its important for your business to have a FB page, but not necessary to spend a large amount of time on it. Make sure it has your contact details and looks good - because its a local business you might find discounts and offers may do wonders for spreading the word about your business.
    The SEO-Friendly Content Marketing Agency http://crowdbait.co.uk/

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Freelancier View Post
    The downside is that wordpress is a pain to manage these days with all the hackers trying to break into those sites. You have to spend time hardening it, keeping it updated, etc.
    It's a never ending fight, kind of like trying to prevent viruses on your computer. But that's anything and you'll run risks. John's idea is a great idea, especially for remodelers. But one thing you can do Huggy, this is what I recommend to my clients who do like plumbing and other "non-glamorous" where sometimes a picture cant pain a thousand words is video testimonials or video of before and video of the result. People are going to under stand a video explaining what you did vs a picture and they have to guess what you did and still not understand it.
    Jonathon Harrelson
    Front End Web Developer - SEO Consultant - Web Evangelist
    The worst thing anyone can ever tell me is that I forgot a semi-colon...

I spent a lot of time getting likes and some money on FB ads. The ads are a waste of money. They don't market to the people you tell them to market to and just send you a message after a few days saying x thousand people saw my ad but with no corresponding rise in web traffic and the likes that come from it were people who should have no interest in my field. I don't believe a 13 year old girl on the east coast really cares about a firearms school in Colorado. I believe they have dummy accounts for the likes and just generate the report of how many people saw your ad out of thin air.

You don't ever NEED social media. Treat it as a boost when you've got everything else in order.

In my opinion, 2-5 hours is too much!

Social Media is a great tool that Small Businesses could leverage to connect with their customers and beat competition.

Here are some tips for creating unfair advantage over your competition on social media on a shoestring budget.

1. Listen

Understanding the pulse of your customers is central to engaging customers effectively on social media. Understanding the customer includes understanding what they like in your offering, what they do, their tastes, what they think of your competition, how they use your services, brickbats and bouquets, etc. You have to start by tuning in to your customerís voices and listening to the conversations around your services, your competition, etc. The more you listen, the more you learn.

2. Crowdsource Content

For a small business owner, creating engaging content around his/her product, services, value to customers every day may be challenging. This requires a lot of dedicated time and effort, not to mention creativity as well. A way to make this work easier is by focussing on ways to crowdsource content from your customers for your social media posts. Examples of such include - asking customers to post selfies, running a contest where customers can participate and the content generated could be used, posting testimonials written by customers, promoting relevant news and tips around your services, etc.

3. Channels and Platforms

To figure out the relevant channels and platforms, start with spending time to find out more about your target audience. What kind of social media content do they prefer and respond to, what are their likes and dislikes, etc. This will help you select the right platforms and channels to market your product. For example, if you are using facebook, you may want to create simple contests like creating one liners and offering discounts for the best one liners to engage your customers.

4. Adapt and Amplify

Creating compelling and useful content, designed to provide value to your target audience can go a long way to increase traffic and grow your business. But while you create content, keep adapting to new situations and events around your services. For example, adapt your blog articles to create nuggets of information which can become individual posts in your facebook plan. You can then use various social media outreach strategies to amplify them to your target audience

5. Analyze and iterate

Getting your social media marketing strategy right involves a lot of learning, adaptation, evolution and iterations. For every kind of post and promotional strategy, keep analyzing its outreach strategy for desired effectiveness, reach and impact. Based on your analysis, you may need to change either the type of posts, or promotion strategy or outreach methods or continue to do what you were doing .

You dont need to hire any agency or consultants to market your business on social media channels. All you need is to spend some quality time to plan and execute the strategies outlined to create your social media presence for your small business on a shoestring budget to your target audience.