Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: new website---reviews wanted

.so paying someone hundreds a month will be worth it......I see my website as the main future growth of my business
    That's exactly the way you should think. You are being proactive, not reactive.

I also think you should add something like a 'how to' section on your website. Ad a tutorial once a month. Say, how to install a water heater. Sure, some people may use it to try to do it themselves. Personally, I would read it so I know the plumber I hire is doing things correctly. Have your web guy edit your page for the web and put the page up. This could also lead to selling stuff on line down the road.

That's not the real reason for doing this though. Google likes large informational sites. Sites that people want to link to or bookmark. Just keep adding a quality page a month won't cost a lot of money. Time goes by and eventually you will have a well ranking site.

Oh, take quality pictures of each job you do. That will give your designer photo's to use on your website.

That's how I would approach it anyway.

Array

ive been checking out how my website places on a few cities (Plumbing City) (Plumber City)....and in 2 out of the 3 I checked im on the first page already.....it isn't my home page, but a sub page designed just for that purpose....im thrilled I see something already

Array

Quote Originally Posted by huggytree View Post

im hosting it for $25 a month on his server
    You haven't learned anything from us designers/developers on this have you?
    Why are you paying $25 a MONTH for something you cannot control? That is 300 for a year! FOR NOTHING!

You don't have access to the hosting account, billing account, control panels. Who knows if his servers are secure (wordpress is regularly hacked, and if you get hacked.. guess who's going to end up paying for it? Probably you. You will probably end up paying financially AND with the long long long long extended time this dude takes to get back to you!)

What if something happens and your site goes down? Or you mess the site up somehow and you want to add changes etc? How will you be able to do it if everything depends on him to respond and do the work?

What if he goes out of business? Bye bye website! I've had this happen to clients! What if he doesn't pay his bills? Bye bye website!

It's like having a house built for you.. you "own the house" but everything is under the contractor's name! If they go out of business, you lose your house! Silly. We talk about owning your own hosting company a lot on this forum.
    Last edited by Wozcreative; 12-15-2013 at 12:33 PM.
    Graphic & Web Design [ View Portfolio ]
    Services: Logo Designs, Stationery, Brochures, Flyers, Booklets, Direct Mail, E-Newsletters, Websites, Store Signage, Packaging & Printing

Array

While I think enough feedback has been given on the design and the website theme itself is fine for a local company - I don't feel enough attention has been given to conversion. For example, on my monitor (23" at 1600x900 resolution) your phone number is the below the fold (would need to scroll down to see it), meaning that there is absolutely no contact information immediately available when I load your website.

You've got this big gallery, a huge logo, some text I can see - all non-essential compared to the importance of having contact information immediately available. I know a logical retort may be that they can "just go to the contact page" to do so, but having your contact information readily available in a prominent area of the site is essential. "Oh, there's a phone number. Let me just go ahead and call it to get the exact info I need instead of trying to look around the site." Huge conversion factor.

I would put your phone, e-mail, and any other applicable contact info in the header where your logo is. Would just shrink down the logo a bit, offset it to the left, then add your contact info so it's immediately available on every page and right at the top for easy viewing.
    Patrick Golden of ink2pixel, LLC. Design, development, and branding.

Array

I can host it anywhere....he didn't push anything....he just gave me the option of him handling it and I took it

where should I put it?

I can still switch it

Quote Originally Posted by Wozcreative View Post
    Why are you paying $25 a MONTH for something you cannot control? That is 300 for a year! FOR NOTHING!
    As someone who provides hosting services starting at more than 3x that, what is he offering? Maintenance of the Wordpress installation? Secure configuration? Backups? Does he deal with any hosting issues that come up?

Based on a lookup of the IP, who owns the block, the other domains on it, and the DNS, I'm almost certain that he's probably reselling from Rochen Limited. You can see there that it's your standard $10/mo shared host (like GoDaddy, 1&1, Hostgator/Bluehost/Justhost/Dotster (same company those four), FatCow, etc). So what's the value-add in the extra $15/mo?

I've taken on clients whose seemingly reliable host go out of business (a reasonably sized shared hosting provider who had some huge issues that caused customers to leave all at once). It wasn't a matter of it being a "one-man" host or point of contact (this situation likely being the latter), it was a provider with over a hundred employees that went poof overnight, data and all.

I've also taken on clients where large providers (including those referenced above) nuked their account (data and all) for "excessive traffic". In each of those cases, the "excessive traffic" was ~3500 visits/mo.

For what it's worth, the domain is registered under Dave's name, so he can point it anywhere he wants without asking the designer. It really comes down to if Dave is comfortable with the designer hosting his website, though I wouldn't be very comfortable myself considering the track record. If Dave hosts it himself, that means Dave will also have to talk to the hosting company if there are any issues, and some people aren't comfortable with that. I had someone for a while that was paying me more per month to be a go-between than they would've paid me for hosting.
    || VMdoh - Drupal development, consulting, and support

Array

A few days ago I provided several issues, but got blocked from the site when I posted

Here's what I remember, and will only touch on things others haven't said:
    Move your "Call to Action" above the fold. Currently I need to browse down to see the number, I would recommend putting it up towards the area your logo is in.
    You should link your member affiliations to any profile pages you have (I.E. BBB)
    Remove the "All Content" from your copyright...some people may take this literally to the text while they steal/borrow your images.
    While your at it, update the date from 2013 to 2014 since we're coming up on the new year.
    Your "Honest and Reliable" picture on the home page that appears to be you, the plumber greeting/visiting what appears to be a client seems to be an extremely similar picture of your family on your "About" page.
    The same image repeats on the services & testimonials page...might want to change one of them. Note: Is this the same image you said wasn't up to plumbing code? Looks like there's an issue to me from what I know of plumbing.

Contact Page - Remove the "I agree to the terms of use" checkbox.
    Terms of Service - Review/Modify some of the language as its a catch 22 type situation. How can I read the TOS without visiting your site, and if I do so I automatically agree to these terms?

Speed of the site - Your site is extremely slow and takes approximately 5 seconds to load each page while transferring almost 2MB of data which is not ideal for mobile users who may be viewing your site...if your paying $25/month then you really need to address this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
    Speed of the site - Your site is extremely slow and takes approximately 5 seconds to load each page while transferring almost 2MB of data which is not ideal for mobile users who may be viewing your site...if your paying $25/month then you really need to address this issue.
    This. Page speed is actually important to Google and has an influence on how well you rank. Google wants satisfied users, and satisfied users want to get information fast.

All except for the "enable compression" part at PageSpeed Insights really should have been done by your designer/developer. He may or may not have the option to turn gzip compression on or off.
    || VMdoh - Drupal development, consulting, and support

Array

in the past 2 weeks ive gotten $2,000 worth of business from my new website...which =$52,000 a year.....in the year 2013 I did $7,000 in website sales

and this is the slow time of the year...id expect sales to 2x or 3x during the summer months....so $70,000 is realistic

I typically average 1 job a month and now ive gotten 3 in 2 weeks

You tell em' huggy tree. Huggy tree is a boss!!

Huggy tree: " I make plenty of money, and guess what, if something happens, no biggie, MUAHAHAHA"

NICE! Just get that guy to delete the "WowSlider" thing. I don't like the colors or the design, but eh...I pretty much see a lot of business people getting by with sites that aren't really stellar..so..whatever. I will also be looking at your website and analyzing it to see a large number of things. Huggy tree is what success looks like. People can nip at your problems, but you've got a lot to deal with, and mainly:

Huggy tree is a boss.
    Last edited by CameronThomas12; 01-04-2014 at 10:45 AM.