Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep track of your to do items

Array

Default How do you keep track of your to do items

Hi All,

I have been posting a bit in the Web area for a while and thought maybe i needed a little diversification.

Anyway interested to hear how you keep track of the things that you need to do. Do you use a to do list, or what? Also how do you ensure that you actually get these things done?

I have been using an A5 book and writing out a to do list the previous day for the next each day. Also i have been using a scoring system to try and keep track of how much i get done and dont get done each day?
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Mr. Tax Man
    Array

I use Microsoft Outlook and put all my To-Do items and the due dates. I'll also prioritize them. As my phone is Windows based (for better or worse), I can sync my phone and computer very easily, and the To-Do items are also there. It's just important to make sure that you spend time actually looking at the list every day and working towards accomplishing those items.
    Small Business CPA
    "A tax loophole is something that benefits the other guy. If it benefits you, it's tax reform."

Array

Hmm that is not actually something that i had thought of at this point. For the most part my to do list only contains things that will be done on that day, or that should be able to be accomplished in a single day. Also for me most of the deadlines are open ended, but i still want to get them done as soon as i can, that is why i am trying to work with a to do list over just randomly working on different things.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Array

I use three things:

Yellow Pad (weekly)

Spiral bound "Month at a Glance" calendar... the 8 1/2 x 11 (or so) size. I can put stuff months away in here and won't forget it, because I can write it right in the day (each day is about a 1"x2" block)

Whiteboard hung up. Underlined red for not done, green for done, and red/green for done but not delivered.

Works really well for me.

I attempted to use Outlook and other scheduling programs a few times, but it all hinged on my entering it right then - and I let it slip a few times because it was tedious, the computer was rebooting, etc... I can see where they are great for people who actually enter the stuff in, but for me, I like the low tech way better.
    Dan Furman - Copywriter, Business Author, Entrepreneurial/Business Consultant
    Business Writing Services | Website Copywriting Services | Blog here

Array

I think the reason that i erred away from the computer based option is that i have tried to stop going to outlook so often, so the calender is not as useful or me because outlook is not often open. Also any other electronic option would probably leave me getting tired of it. I use a paper based option because it is easy to quickly flick through it and get a good idea of what i did and didnt do and easy to update without flicking between programs. I just have a highlighter sitting on the book when i do something i highlight a little square next to it.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Array

I do what Evan does. I always have it with me on the Blackberry and Outlook is always open on the computer. I synch up several times a week - so it is always current. It does require discipline to actually LOOK at it - which I don't always do.
    Steve B

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I'm low tech. I have a notepad that sits on my desk that has my daily to do list. I have a three month calendar on a wall in my office that tracks large project deadlines.

Array

I went to Lowe's and picked up a 4'x8' sheet of whiteboard. They cut it into third for me. One third sits over my desk, one third is at my wife's desk and one third went to the kids as a drawing board.

I simply list my to-do list on the board. I remove item once complete.
    HouseView™ - The leading real estate site for South East Missouri. Follow us on Twitter @HVOL.
    Jackson MO Real Estate, Cape Girardeau Missouri Real Estate, Festus Missouri Real Estate

Array

to do list? I'm supposed to have a to do list? I guess that's what I've been doing wrong...

Actually I have a whiteboard on my living room wall, a notepad by my laptop on the couch and a "to do" list widget on my igoogle home page. But my most often referred to list is the one I keep in my head... I've really got to work on this!
    ~Jenn
    Crazy Dog Creative: Graphic Design and Marketing

Array

Blessed, having a to do list certainly does work, it gives you points of focus, and that is really i think what you need to be able to get things done. If you are always sitting down to do work and just running through the things you are thinking of needing to do in your head you are often bound to miss something, where as if you have a list in front of you it is much easier to pin point the one thing that you do actually need to do.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels