Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: someone is using my home phone and address

Default someone is using my home phone and address

So I began receiving phone messages about a week ago for someone named Daniel. I am now getting various pieces of mail delivered to my home as well.

I assume someone is atttempting to establish a residence in order to obtain credit.
    So far my credit report is clean and I don't think it is an attempt to steal my identity, but I want to stop this before it gets worse.

I am going to try to talk to the mail man when I see him. I assume that I will have to call the Attorney Generals office as well for guidance.

Does anyone have any experience with this or have suggestions?

Array

First I would contact the 3 credit agencies and have them place a freeze on your accounts. This means that they should contact you directly before releasing credit information. That should at least make it harder for someone to open an account in your name.

The mailman will be of little help. I would contact the post office directly.
    HouseView™ - The leading real estate site for South East Missouri. Follow us on Twitter @HVOL.
    Jackson MO Real Estate, Cape Girardeau Missouri Real Estate, Festus Missouri Real Estate

Array

We have the phone issue a number of times, however i think for us it is more likely a mis type or something but it has happened twice where we will get anything up to a dozen wrong numbers for the one company in a period of about 2 to 3 weeks. but the numbers are usually nothing like ours.

It is worth taking precautions though i dont know that they would be after your identity, if they are using a different name anyway.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

I bet it's just a mixup somewhere. How can they use your home to establish residency if they don't have access to your mail to bring in statements or bills to prove anything?

Array

there are services which monitor your credit...it costs $20 a month or less and anytime your credit rating is checked you get notified....if someone uses your name to apply for a credit card you will know...if someone takes out a loan in your name you will know..

i protected myself and my wife....yea its $20 a month, but if someone does steal your identity they repair it for free.

Thanks for the replies.
    I filed a complaint with the FTC and am monitoring my credit reports.
    I don't think it is a mixup considering that my address and home phone are both being used.
    I am getting letters and calls from car loan companies, credit repair firms, work from home programs and even Anthem.
    I don't know of anyone who would be getting all of these type of calls on a daily basis.
    So I am calling some of the companies directly when I get mail and explaining the situation but they don't care or have time to worry about one piece of mail that was probably generated from an online inquiry.

Array

the average amount of time to repair credit history is like 100+ hours

I'd be more inclined to think that someone is applying for a credit card in your name. They probably plan to come by your mail box and pick it up. Is your mail box on the street? Are you home when the mail comes?

That doesn't explain all the propaganda you are getting though.

Array

maybe someday youll find someone in your house when you get home and he'll tell you to get out of his house.

Mr. Tax Man
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by huggytree View Post
    maybe someday youll find someone in your house when you get home and he'll tell you to get out of his house.
    It'd be scarier if he looked like you and was wearing the same thing you were!
    Small Business CPA
    "A tax loophole is something that benefits the other guy. If it benefits you, it's tax reform."