Thread: Should I pay someone to form my LLC?

Default Should I pay someone to form my LLC?

My question is in the title. There are a myriad of websites (legalzoom etc.) that can form a LLC in any state that you want for just a few hundred dollars and I am wondering is that a service that I should use? I had heard that if the ish really hits the fan, a lawyer can tear through one of those website assisted LLCs. Is there any merit to this? Should I just pay a firm who specializes in this sort of thing? Does anyone have any experience in this manner? Thanks.

Kila

If you are forming a single member LLC (you are the only owner), then filing online with your state would probably take you 5 minutes. You really don't need to pay hundreds of dollars to have someone transfer information that you give them to another form. On top of that, they will want to sell you their registered agent services which is like an annuity to them. For some people, the annual registered agent fee makes sense but for many people it is an unnecessary expense.

On the other hand, if you have more than one member in the LLC, the filing services will provide you with a generic operating agreement form that cannot possibly address the unique needs of your own business.

By the way, if you do feel uncomfortable filing your own articles of organization for even a single member LLC, most lawyers can set up a SMLLC for about the same fee that some of the filing services charge. For the small difference in cost, you have an opportunity to get real legal advice and discuss options such as making an S corporation election.

Array

Thanks for the info that's really helpful.