Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stats

Steve is the report spam tested and working?

I've never installed or managed a forum, but it strikes me that it wouldn't be to hard to modify forum software so posts that are reported by say 3 know users are sent to post purgatory until reviewed by a moderator. Spam comes more frequently on the weekends and late when spammers feel that the mods aren't as likely to be around.

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Good question, bill. Right now, I can't say that is tested since we have so many other issues to address and so far, Spam has not been an issue, but we will be reviewing anything of this nature since search engine position also brings in Spam as a natural result. One thing I do know since I am deeply involved here: we will address the Spam issue and paid membership is up for consideration. As long as I am here, and since vangogh was pretty much the only Spam patrol on the old SBF I know he's also committed, the Spammers will not be allowed to take control here.

If the Report Spam feature turns out to be one of our glitches, we will resolve the issue. And we will eliminate the 60 second posting rule is it exists. Your paricipation is greatly appreciated, and if there are any barriers to that, I want them gone. Having been on the user end with no control over this stuff, I can say that one of the things we want to eliminate is that sense of helplessness.

I've not tested the Report Spam feature, but we will seek to assure that everything is working, especially those things like Report Spam that help us keep the scourge from spoiling what we have here.

I like your idea of 3 reports sending a post to Purgatory, especially if we grant priority reporting privileges to certain members. This is a great idea for future settings to consider. Anything that helps us keep this place free of Spam (especially to expedite the process) is something I am interested in considering.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

@Paul - I think Plurk links may still be followed, but again don't hold me to that. I imagine if they are at some point they won't be.

@Frederick - The pages do have <titles> They just aren't in the place where you might be looking. vBulletin is putting them lower down in the head section, but they are there.

@Bill - the report spam button is on. Since we haven't had any spam no one's reported any. Hard to know if it is working, but it's there. I'll have to look into settings to see if a certain number of reports automatically cans a post. I doubt it would be a setting, but maybe it's been coded as an addon.

I know the old forum got out of control with spam, but that was mostly because I was the only one moderating for a long time and I couldn't spend all day on the forum. We already have 3 people here who can delete spam and as we grow and need more people to help we'll ask members if they want to moderate.

Like it or not every site online attracts spam once it becomes visible. There are automated solutions to fighting it and any that make sense we'll add, but the best way to fight spam is simply for people to report it and the mods to delete it.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

I think paid membership was mentioned elsewhere but I can't find it - so I will comment here as it is in discussion here.

Although paid membership may stop spammers, it will also stop new members. No matter how low a price, there is a culture on the net that everyhing should be free, especially things like discussion boards. "There are so many other free places to go - why should I pay for this one?" (And they'll click away faster than you can answer the question.)

I think charging to be a member would have more limiting effect on the board than spam. I can understand there being a desire for income in return for all the hard work the administrators are doing but I think that can be better achieved by offering and charging for add-on services and special privileges and advertising. But these things won't stop the spammers.

Also consider the effect of price. A price that is too low will suggest the place is not worth joining and a price set too high will say much trhe same thing. Although any proce at all will limit membership. In addition, any price may even encourage spammers, thinking the membership dues entitle them to spam!

Consider this, too. If you charge for membership, you are tilting the membership towards the inexperienced and unknowledgeable end of the scale, because some experienced and knowledgeable people will say, "I'm not learning anything. The forum is full of newbies and all I am doing is educating my competition." I've already heard from an experienced and knowledgeable businessowner, when speaking of the old forum, describe it as 'lightweight' in terms of business information. Not that he thought there was no useful information to be had but that it was buried beneath too much advice for and from newbies."

Perhaps a membership fee would work if you vetted members and only accepted members who were experienced, or somehow maintained a balance of expereiced and inexperienced business owners. And I have no idea how you could do that.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

There are always levels to membership. I have seen several forums where the forum itself is free to use for everyone. There are however, certain services and privileges that are offered via paid membership. If you value those services and privileges (i.e. more storage for photos etc.) you pay the fee. If not, you don't. The fee is never imposed on the exchange of information, it is placed on additional optional services that won't impact the basic user experience.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by KristineS View Post
    There are always levels to membership. I have seen several forums where the forum itself is free to use for everyone. There are however, certain services and privileges that are offered via paid membership. If you value those services and privileges (i.e. more storage for photos etc.) you pay the fee. If not, you don't. The fee is never imposed on the exchange of information, it is placed on additional optional services that won't impact the basic user experience.
    Yes, Kristine. Several of my virtual assistant (VA) forums are free to everyone, but only those members who pay a nominal fee have access to bid on RFPs (requests for proposals) for example.
    Karen Braschuk
    Virtual Assistance: Office Support 911
    Transcription: Simply Transcripts

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Frederick I don't want to see the forum go to a fully paid subscription either. I think we should always have a free and open place to get together and share like we have been.

I'm not opposed to adding a paid subscription level on top of the free forum though. We'd have to decide what to offer in a paid forum to make it worth paying for.

But it's important to me that the main forum remain free as it always has. We'll probably need to add some advertising before long to cover the bills, but I'd rather not charge people for coming here and contributing.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Paid membership is a ways off if it happens at all. If it does happen, browsing the forum will always be free. The paid membership would have tangible benefits such as discounts on software (example only and I mean multiple benefits not just one). It will have to be something that directly interests and benefits a business person.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Array

Thank you for allowing me to EDIT my posts at any time.

Not in frequently I find some error, e.g, misspelling, typo, or horrible grammar, 1 or more days later. With the current freedom, I can go in and correct my foolish appearance before the entire world notices.

After ull, a copy righter shuld be abel to due beter!

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Elliott; 08-11-2008 at 02:10 PM. Reason: To due it beter!

Array

Quote Originally Posted by KristineS View Post
    Kristine, this is a very valuable business model. Always overdeliver. You never try to put a fence around your customers. You merely offer them a "gated community."

Then they behave like men . . . when we're ready to be fenced, we'll walk willingly to the altar . . . no shotgun needed.

It's a Texas thang, Ma'am!

Paul